Routine Chemical Additions...

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
I just moved into a new house, and was looking for advice on a weekly chemical plan. I have an inground, 17,500-20,000 gallon pool. Most shocks say on the bag to add one bag weekly per 10,000 gallons of water, however, this site suggests that if FC is kept in spec, shocking isn't required.

What maintenance schedule do you guys suggest to maintain clear water all summer? Thanks!

Thank you all for the quick responses. I have read up on the beginner articles thus far, and they have helped. I also have the TF-100 on order. I understand the test and adjust chlorine strategy. I know it won't take very long, but I imagine there will be days when I don't have time to test the water. And when you are on a solid schedule, is it necessary to test every day, or do you find the right volumes of chemicals that you add every week, and you know will be effective?

You will almost always need to add bleach on a daily basis. Unless you have a SWG. But as you get used to your pool you can anticipate it's needs in that respect. I get up a few mins early just so I can stand by the pool and admire the invisible water.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I have read up on the beginner articles thus far, and they have helped. I also have the TF-100 on order. I understand the test and adjust chlorine strategy. I know it won't take very long, but I imagine there will be days when I don't have time to test the water. And when you are on a solid schedule, is it necessary to test every day, or do you find the right volumes of chemicals that you add every week, and you know will be effective?

Once a week? Not likely. But as others have hinted once you learn the demands of your pool you can probably get by with every 2-3 days. In that 2-3 days my PH may drift from 7.2 up to 7.5 ( I keep my PH lower due to high CH, but that's for another day down the road for you at this time). TA may drop 5-10 points based on adjusting the PH, but that too is a range, not an absolute value. Same with FC. My CYA is 60 (live in AZ with 330 days of sunshine and extreme heat 4 months of the year so I choose to have a little more CYA). My normal FC range is 5-9, 5 minimum. I bring it to 10-11 when I add and know in 2-4 day it will drop to 6-7.

This works for me, you too will probably find a rhythm. If you check every day or every other day for a while you will learn your pool. Fun to guess beforehand what the numbers will be...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.