Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach question

The bleach I have is a store brand bleach thar says 7.86%.
    But I see alot of people reference 6% bleach.
    I will adjust using pool math....but was really just wondering why such a difference in %
    Even the clorox brand was 7.86% in my store. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    Intex metal frame 12x3 pool
    Installed July 2015, 1718 gallons, Krystal clear 530 gal per hr filter pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach question

Yep, different regions different rules and different percentages. It varies from 6 to 8.25.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Recheck the label. It should say 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. It also says "yields 7.86% chlorine". Everybody on this site would say your jug 8.25% bleach. And PoolMath expects you to use 8.25% as the bleach percentage, not 7.86%
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Recheck the label. It should say 8.25% sodium hypochlorite. It also says "yields 7.86% chlorine". Everybody on this site would say your jug 8.25% bleach. And PoolMath expects you to use 8.25% as the bleach percentage, not 7.86%

Ahhh I see....ok I didn't realize that. Just checked my bleach and you are right. Let me go adjust my pool math. Thanks!
    Intex metal frame 12x3 pool
    Installed July 2015, 1718 gallons, Krystal clear 530 gal per hr filter pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

You should also learn to read the date code on your bleach jugs. I don't buy bleach that is more than 30 days old. This link should help you with that.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...asure-Strength
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.