Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - Quick Question...

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - Quick Question...

Hi - last weekend we had the grand opening of our brand new, 25k gallon in-ground (gunite) pool. As a part of our build, we had a 2 week startup process with a pool service company. Their last visit was this past Tuesday, so it's been without any service (and testing) for 6 days now. I'm actively searching for a pool service company (no small task - they are all working 100% right now), but am wondering if I need to be doing something to the pool until they can get here? We have the floaty that hold chlorine tablets - there were three in there last Tuesday, but the remainder dissolved yesterday. I hope to get a service company lined up by this Tuesday, but may be a couple days later - should I be doing something in the interim?
    16x36 in-ground rectangular, Jandy equipment, cartridge filter, LED multi-color light, Polaris 280, Durazzo plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - Quick Question...

Yes....you should. You should be reading Pool School, familiarizing yourself with basic pool chemistry, and order one of our recommended test kits so you can FIRE the pool service and manage your own pool much more effectively (and cheaper too).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You can stop the search. Now that you've found TPFC you can do it all yourself. Simple stuff you buy at the grocery or hardware store. And a test kit from Tftestkits.net. The rest is covered in Pool School and Pool Math will become your friend.

Oh one added perk. Take the money you would have paid somebody else, and pay yourself. Seems only fair to me.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are dead set on having a pool service company, and against doing it yourself, at least add some chlorine tablets to the floater in the mean time to keep your chlorine up.

I will say, following the TFPC method has changed my outlook on swimming pools (At least for the better on TFPC pools, public/other pools much worse, lol).
    Mike
    20k IG 16x32 plaster pool, Marathon 3/4HP Pump, Sta-Rite PXC-125 Cartridge Filter
    Zodiac G4, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Congrats on the new pool!

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to start with.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, drcrimzon - that's exactly the advice I needed. While I'm sure many on this website do a wonderful job of maintaining their pools, some of us (me included) must travel a fair bit. And no matter how proficient you are at pool chemistry, it's hard to apply that knowledge if you are nowhere near the pool...
    16x36 in-ground rectangular, Jandy equipment, cartridge filter, LED multi-color light, Polaris 280, Durazzo plaster