Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't hold chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't hold chlorine

I am having a huge problem holding choline. Basically all the other numbers are fine. No algie to speak of. I have added at least 6-7 lbs of Powder Power Plus over the last two days and the tests barely shows .5. I have been experiencing this problem all summer. Pool store is as puzzled as I am.
    First time to forum, so if info. is needed, please advise. Thanks.
    Doughboy 24000 gal., oval, dug in, Zeo sand filter, Hayward heater
    Burt

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't hold chlorine

Welcome to the forum. Got a full set of RELIABLE test results so we can help? How are you testing? We have recommended pool test kits in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a full set of test results ... Not from test strips or the pool store.

Likely you have something in the water consuming the chlorine and may have over stabilization problems.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Something's eating it - either algae or sunlight. Test results would help, and so would a description of the water. Is it crystal clear, clear with patches of algae, cloudy, milky, green, what?

If it's just low CYA and the sun is getting it, that's easy to fix. If it's the beginnings of an algae bloom, that'll take a while. Just do what these folks did: Recovering my old inspirational links - Page 2
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Latest test results:My testing: Chlorine 0; Ph 7.0-7.2;TA 100; CYA 75-80. No phosphates. Calcium hardness high.( Leslie's shows 400. I think higher, but not sure. My test doesn't seem right.) Water is cloudy. On a scale of 1-10, about a 5. Lot of rain lately. No metals.
    Leslie's recommendation: hit hard with 5 lbs of Powder Powder Plus. I have used multiple lbs. of PPP in the past, but only lasts a day or so.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

PS I do have a TF100 test kit. Are there other tests I can do with it?
    Doughboy 24000 gal., oval, dug in, Zeo sand filter, Hayward heater
    Burt

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    PS I do have a TF100 test kit. Are there other tests I can do with it?
    The TF-100 uses the best tests there are. What are your test results?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

You have the TF-100 ... now follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Every pound of power powder adds 3.6 FC to your pool along with 2.6 CH. Your CH is already north of 400, so I'd stop it and switch to bleach. Other powdered chlorines will raise the CYA level and lower the pH and you're already stretching the boundaries with those.

Look at that link I posted. Scroll through and look at the pictures. Bleach did that. No doubt you'll see reference to SLAM. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain That's the solution.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Test FC hourly until it starts to hold FC then double it to two hours, then four. You need to maintain shock level FC which is found in the chlorine/CYA chart.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator