Hayward pump ...motor problem

sailor

Jul 12, 2015
Warwick RI
I've got a Hayward sand filter and pump with the motor that was supplied with it. Last night the pump was running fine when I shut it down about 10- ran late since I had shocked the chlorine. This morning when I went out to turn it on the motor came on momentarily then stopped. Turned it off then back on again and same thing. The ground fault did not trip. Shut off the switch then opened the strainer basket which was plugged - cleaned that and tried again but absolutely nothing this time. Shut it down again, opened the strainer basket and stuck my finger into the impeller housing ...it spins freely so I know it's not bound up and since it's a direct connection to the motor that doesn't seem to be bound up either.

I know I have power from the circuit board so it is not anything in the feed line. I unwired the pump from the switch and tied a plug onto and plugged it into a live socket ...nothing. I'll guess it is something to do with the "stuff" inside where the power connection is made to the motor - capacitators etc. I've checked all the 110 connections back there and they are tight. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds like something inside the motor. Loose connection? The capacitor only starts the motor, it wouldn't turn it off when it is running. A motor that suddenly or randomly stops also could be the heat overload switch at the back of the motor. In that case, check for blockage at the intake in front of the motor.

The first couple times I started it today it came on but only for a moment..barely a second. Now there is nothing. When I open the strainer I can get a finger into the impeller and it does not feel clogged and it is spinning freely. I've been over the connections - took them apart and cleaned the spades and redid.

I do not know this motor but it may have two caps, start and run.
Plus I would check inside under the rear cover.

Make sure you disconnect it. Put it on the bench and give it a thorough check under the cover. See if the switch (it might have an On-Off switch there) is OK.
Look for anything from frayed/charred wiring to cold solder spots, rust/oxidation. If all is clean, locate the caps and see if they both (if two) measure OK according to the label.

It was silent...no buzz, nothing. BUT this afternoon I was about to cut it out of the plumbing to get it in on the bench...and decided that before I did that I would try one last thing.. I took the tail off another pump someone had given me as a loaner...which was useless since it was dead....and attached that to the existing motor and plugged it in...VOILA...she lives! I had no reason to suspect a heavy rubberized cord had gone bad so I had vetted the connections at the motor and then put a plug on the existing cord yesterday and got nothing...apparently the flexible wire to the pump has a short/break in it somewhere... Yeah I've burned the better part of 2 days on this BUT it has only cost me 6 bucks so far ...a short piece of 1 1/2 pvc I bought to repair the plumbing if I had to cut this one out and an ice coffee for the fellow at the motor shop who tested the cap for me. The fittings I bought can be returned and should cover the cost of a longer and heavier piece of sj cable...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.