question for remodel tile/coping issue

roth79

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
I'm getting ready to have pool refinished (wet edge Satin) and I have a question regarding the existing cap tile which is being removed. One of the estimates has replacing the existing cap tile. I have remodeled the pool deck a few years ago and we put travertine pavers over a concrete slab and we didn't use remodel overhanging coping, we use standard bullnose.

So the existing 2x6 bullnose which is u shaped is removed there will be 3 inch or so concrete slab lip under the 2x6 cap tile that would stick out. Seems like that would be a pretty big gap, any suggestions.
My pool remodeler suggest to remove cap tile and pull up new 6x6 tiles right below remodel coping which sits on a concrete slab. I have read here that the deck moves different from the pool and that's my concern. I believe I can find a smaller tile for maybe a strip right above the new tile. Am I overthinking this issue. We picked out tile and he is suppose to drain and start in the next couple of weeks.

Advise or suggestions please

I attached existing pic.

Thanks,

pool tile.jpg

Roth,

Sorry, but I'm not really sure I understand what you are saying.. I may be confused, but it sounds like you are saying the dark blue tile was added to cover the edge of the original concrete coping. The lighter blue tile was original water line tile, or at least it was in the same location. The contractor wants to remove both sets of tile and replace with a single tile. Is this correct? On the surface I do not see a problem with movement, if the blue tiles have not been bothered by movement so far. What I'd be concerned about is having the new tile be at the center of the water line, which you'd think would be in the middle of your skimmer.

If I'm way off base, then other may be confused also. You might want to restate the question.

Jim R.

No Jim your right on it, he is putting a new skimmer in as well so he said he would pull that up as well, I thought I was overthinking it. I was afraid the deck may start shifting and pop pool wall tiles.

Thanks for the advise Jim.

Roth

I'm going to vote the other way. Sort of.

Generally your proposition is correct ---- you want to allow the deck slab to move independent of the pool structure.

Putting a single tile here risks differential movement popping the tiles. So as a general rule I would avoid using a single tile here.

However you have had this situation for a number of years apparently without the deck shifting and causing cracks in the grout line between the two tile lines -- if that is correct then I would be more comfortable in going with a single tile line. Additionally, in your photo you don't show much deck. If that is true all around the pool then I would feel more comfortable. If you have a large deck then it will have greater expansion than a small deck. But that activity should have manifested itself in the existing tile line if it was prone to do so.

I'm not fully clear on what you propose but changing the deck surface may change its expansion -- contraction characteristics so past experience may be less relevant.

Ok that mumbo jumbo above is clear as mud -- I would probably go for it with the single tile line.

Gw thanks for response, there are a few grout lines that are cracking but it's 15 years old, if I could find a decent 3x6 trim tile I probably feel better with 2 rows but idk!!! I even though about 2 rows of 1" tile then 6x6 under it.

I've been struggling with this one for a while, thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.