What was in your pool this morning?

The thing about AZ that most folks don't realize is that it has an amazingly diverse climate. If you want the desert life, you live in southern AZ (Phoenix & Tucson). If you want a high alpine climate with lots of trees and snow in the winter, then you live in northern AZ (Prescott, Sedona or Flagstaff). And if you're into boating, you can live near Lake Havasu on the AZ/CA border. Or, if you want to live in the "Winter Vegetable Capitol of the World" then Yuma is the place for you!!

And don't get me started about the University of Arizona....Go Wildcats!!!

Jeopardy factoid - This planet in the solar system was the only one discovered by an American at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ.

Question - What is Pluto? Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the info. I didn't know there was such a difference. :)

I would choose the desert.....he would choose snow and trees. :poke:

Then come to Tucson and you can have both. Summerhaven sits atop Mt. Lemmon's peak at 9,400ft. It has a high alpine climate (we call the mountain tops like that Sky Islands) and it gets plenty of snow in the winter. It's only a 45 min drive from the base of the mountain up to its peak. When in Summerhaven you can visit The Cookie Shack and get a giant, 8" diameter chocolate chip cookie baked fresh to go with a slice of pizza.

Dang, I need to work for the local tourism board....

He has a year left before retirement. As long as everything goes as planned (budget) we will probably sell and move. So excited can't wait. :D

My parents recently retired and moved here (grandkids were a big reason) after living 40 years in NY. Their only regret is that they didn't retire sooner....

Unlike the east, out here the climate it determined not by your latitude, but by your altitude. That's why we have a ski resort that's only 60 miles from the Mexican border. You want cooler weather you just look for a higher altitude. Tucson is 100 miles south of Phoenix, but it's 5-7 degrees cooler...why, about a half mile of altitude. Two very close locations can have very different climates.

300 days of sunshine and the views, with open blue skies and mountains in every direction, sunsets are just stunning.
End rant.

It wasn't a critter but some critter's breakfast -

7780026D-8124-42E6-A77F-EB94B0C570AC_zpshhgmn608.jpg

Probably a lizard got a hold of a birds egg and decided to discard the empties in my pool....last time I invite him over!

57EA017F-E89D-4159-9DAD-69306903C9CB_zpsnj8pxftv.jpg

No, don't freak out, this is not a live extra from the movie "Jurassic World" :p Kreepy Krauly is about 3-1/2 ft below the surface. This "little" guy is a member of the longhorn family of beetles known around these parts as a Palo Verde Root Borer. Their bodies are approximately 3" long from head to rear and their antennae add about another inch onto their length. They are harmless to humans.

So far this season beetles (of all variety) have been a predominant feature of my skimmer collections. I don't know if any other Tucsonans are experiencing a beetle surge this season but this is the fifth one of these I've removed and I skim a few dozen of the smaller varieties (mostly dead) off the water surface every day.

Gotta love the desert wild life....

Wow, I had that exact same flavor of beetle in my pool yesterday! Must be the season. The misses didn't appreciate me bringing it in for a closer look...I put it outside to go free, but it must have been exhausted....it was later seen upsidedown in the yard.

I seem to get a lot of bees, an occasional gecko, wasps...but this spring I had 5 juvenile black widows setting up shop in corners where the cool deck meets the tile....I won't skip spraying the gazebo again!

Monday, I actually had a water bug in the pool....took forever to catch it. I found some other sort of water bug resembling creature in the skimmer yesterday...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.