Need Advice on number and placement of returns

We just started a pool build (see link below) and the pool shape/dimensions changed a little from paper once formed on the property. We already added a second skimmer but I am wondering if the three returns currently speced will be ideal. I am wondering what other peoples experience has been wit returns and what they might do differently if they could. I do like a pool to have good strong flow. We are running a Pentair 3HP VS pump.

RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!!

Thanks for any advice on sizing, number and placement!

Three seems a little low, we have six and it is not too many. Placement should be evenly around the pool to keep debris moving in a circular pattern toward the skimmers.

I agree with pooldv above.

I'm a builder in AZ, and my bare minimum is four. If I want more, my plumber charges me $50 each. I'd ask the builder to install two or three more. Even if they charge you a nominal fee, I believe the money is well spent. Go for it now to get much better circulation for the future.

Yes, it is a giant pump. And way overkill for my pool. But, I love the versatility to be able to dial in water flow rates for skimming, SWG, solar, waterfall, floor drain and all combos thereof. I never run my pump above 2500 rpm, which isn't close to the 3450 rpm max. The highest speed usually run is 1950 rpm for solar, it draws 550 watts. And most of the time it runs at 1100 rpm to skim and make chlorine. It draws 150 watts at 1100 rpm and costs less than $12/mo to run it 24x7 at 1100 rpm.

Pentair added this 1.5hp VS pump this year.
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for, thanks so much to all who have chimed in so far on the subject! I will ask my builder to go move up to 5 or 6 returns.

-Dave and Pooldv, thanks for the feedback on the pump, I have been wondering a little if it is oversized. The pool looks like it will be somewhere between 650 and 700 sq ft when poured but it does have two beaches occupying some of that space. What happened is that the pool was originally speced for one pump (hence the big boy 3 HP). However, ultimately we decided to add a dedicated water feature pump but the first bump has not been re-speced (yet). What pooldv described for his set-up sounds like what I kind of thought about the big pump; that it would not work as hard and that I would have the extra bump in output if needed. If I have some faulty logic there I am open to re-consideration for sure. What size Pentair cartridge filter would be advisable for optimal flow? I do not currently have the pool speced for solar but may add it to help cut down on the heat pump's use (though I read that the Pentair controller struggles with automation of the solar/heat pump duo). I want to use te pool for a season before deciding on the solar.

I have the C&C520 and it is not too big. We have lots of trees and I have to clean it 4 times a year usually. I don't think there is any downside to getting a bigger filter. At least get prices for 320, 420 and 520 from the PB.

Thanks Pooldv. We have a lot of trees as well and quarterly cleaning would be reasonable to keep up with for cleaning. Beyond the cleaning, I guess the advantage of the larger filter for output (an earlier concern brought up in a comment) is that it can afford to have a lot more of the media clogged with debri before pressure builds beyond acceptable levels? If I understand all this correctly the residential flow rate for the ccrp 200 and the ccp520 are both 150 gph with 72k turnover in 8 hours when clean. The CCP520 does have twice the commercial rating. So if I understand all this, the big question is do I want to clean monthly or quarterly?

Yes, that is correct. Bigger filter equals less cleaning and more flow longer. For me cleaning is a spring and fall thing. Usually twice in spring and twice in fall. This spring we had a TON of rain and the trees went bananas and I had to clean 4 times in April/May.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.