Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on number and placement of returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice on number and placement of returns

We just started a pool build (see link below) and the pool shape/dimensions changed a little from paper once formed on the property. We already added a second skimmer but I am wondering if the three returns currently speced will be ideal. I am wondering what other peoples experience has been wit returns and what they might do differently if they could. I do like a pool to have good strong flow. We are running a Pentair 3HP VS pump.

RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!!

Thanks for any advice on sizing, number and placement!
    2015 Freeform shotcrete pool build in FL. RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Advice on number and placement of returns

Three seems a little low, we have six and it is not too many. Placement should be evenly around the pool to keep debris moving in a circular pattern toward the skimmers.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you really like that giant pump, you will need a giant filter to match the output.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with pooldv above.

I'm a builder in AZ, and my bare minimum is four. If I want more, my plumber charges me $50 each. I'd ask the builder to install two or three more. Even if they charge you a nominal fee, I believe the money is well spent. Go for it now to get much better circulation for the future.
    APSP Certified Building Professional
    APSP Certified Service Professional
    NSPF Certified Pool Operator

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it is a giant pump. And way overkill for my pool. But, I love the versatility to be able to dial in water flow rates for skimming, SWG, solar, waterfall, floor drain and all combos thereof. I never run my pump above 2500 rpm, which isn't close to the 3450 rpm max. The highest speed usually run is 1950 rpm for solar, it draws 550 watts. And most of the time it runs at 1100 rpm to skim and make chlorine. It draws 150 watts at 1100 rpm and costs less than $12/mo to run it 24x7 at 1100 rpm.

Pentair added this 1.5hp VS pump this year.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for, thanks so much to all who have chimed in so far on the subject! I will ask my builder to go move up to 5 or 6 returns.

-Dave and Pooldv, thanks for the feedback on the pump, I have been wondering a little if it is oversized. The pool looks like it will be somewhere between 650 and 700 sq ft when poured but it does have two beaches occupying some of that space. What happened is that the pool was originally speced for one pump (hence the big boy 3 HP). However, ultimately we decided to add a dedicated water feature pump but the first bump has not been re-speced (yet). What pooldv described for his set-up sounds like what I kind of thought about the big pump; that it would not work as hard and that I would have the extra bump in output if needed. If I have some faulty logic there I am open to re-consideration for sure. What size Pentair cartridge filter would be advisable for optimal flow? I do not currently have the pool speced for solar but may add it to help cut down on the heat pump's use (though I read that the Pentair controller struggles with automation of the solar/heat pump duo). I want to use te pool for a season before deciding on the solar.
    2015 Freeform shotcrete pool build in FL. RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Will a 200 square foot clean and clear RP filter be a good fit for this set-up or is it still undersized with the 3 HP pump? We ended up going with 5 returns, two skimmers and two floor drains that combine to one pipe back to the filer.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the C&C520 and it is not too big. We have lots of trees and I have to clean it 4 times a year usually. I don't think there is any downside to getting a bigger filter. At least get prices for 320, 420 and 520 from the PB.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Pooldv. We have a lot of trees as well and quarterly cleaning would be reasonable to keep up with for cleaning. Beyond the cleaning, I guess the advantage of the larger filter for output (an earlier concern brought up in a comment) is that it can afford to have a lot more of the media clogged with debri before pressure builds beyond acceptable levels? If I understand all this correctly the residential flow rate for the ccrp 200 and the ccp520 are both 150 gph with 72k turnover in 8 hours when clean. The CCP520 does have twice the commercial rating. So if I understand all this, the big question is do I want to clean monthly or quarterly?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, that is correct. Bigger filter equals less cleaning and more flow longer. For me cleaning is a spring and fall thing. Usually twice in spring and twice in fall. This spring we had a TON of rain and the trees went bananas and I had to clean 4 times in April/May.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks again for the input,I changed the specs to a C&C+ 520