Low Pressure in Return when set to Filter

I've read some previous threads concerning this topic but still can't get my problem fixed. I have a Doheny's 1.5 hp pump hooked up to a hayward sand filter. When the multiport valve is set to filter the return pressure is very low, but if it is switched over to recirculate then the pressure is fine. I have tried backwashing the filter and priming the pump again, but all was to no avail. Has anybody else had this experience.

What does your water look like? Maybe the filter is just doing its job.

Water is crystal clear now but it wasn't a week ago. We had an algae bloom that I'm just now getting under control.

- - - Updated - - -

After you run for a while does the psi get higher or lower? If the pressure "dropped off" then the psi would be lower

Pressure is higher but flow out of the return is lower. I wasn't thinking when I said the pressure dropped off, I just meant the flow did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you "get control of the algae"? Are you following the SLAM process? Passing the OCLT?

I used the SLAM process. I shocked it with bleach and then continued to keep chlorine at shock levels until water was clear. It's actually still at shock level but I think I'm going to let it come back down now because the water looks very good.

I'll probably do the OCLT tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.