First TF-100 test, pool filling

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
I'm wondering what chemicals and amounts to purchase tomorrow. I am filling the pool and it's half way full of city hose water. I can only fill to skimmer bottom. I'm waiting for gasket due on Monday.

Here are my results:
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TC 1.0
CH 500 ppm ( the water is from a deep aquafir by Rocky mountain and prairie if it matters)

TA at 31 drops it turned pink so 310
35 drop turned dark pink 350 ( does it really turn red red?)

pH 7.5

It's a drive into town so I want to come home with the right stuff. I did get bleach 8.25 in a gallon store brand sell by date of 12/16/2015, Clorox didn't have any concentration amount on it.

Any ideas? On what to buy and how much. I have a lab pup so I'm not sure about borax/ borates yet till we see how much she drinks.
No chemical were added to the pool. I have a submersible sump pump I can use to mix the water till the pump and filter come online ( not installed yet) I read Hayward pump needs Hayward connection, I hope not. Poolsupplies.com sent Backwash Fitting - PoolSupplies.com to connect 3 hoses but I wanted PVC type connections. The man I bought the pool from said the gray flexible hose dries and cracks at our altitude ( intense sun) and humidity ( 3% sometimes)

It was a very very hard morning doing the liner but it seems to be holding with 2 inches of overlap in one area.

Thanks

Yes, a kitchen scale or a measuring cup. Poolmath gives volume and weight.

Bleach and cya/stabilizer are all you need. Your PH is fine, CH is on the high side so don't need any. What is your TA?

Did you use a damp cloth and wipe the dropper between each drop you should get a proper sized drop and a correct TA number. This in the instructions for TA test.

I just use a 2 cup measuring cup. I have one just for bleach and a different colored one for meriate acid.

Here is your shopping list:

-a catsup bottle- link-that is just to give you an idea of what I am talking about . This is to get water samples out of the pool.

BBQ Ketchup and Mustard Bottles, Set of 2 - Pfaltzgraff

-two different colored 2 cup measuring cups (plastic as NO glass is allowed around the pool)

-Bleach-greater value or store brand is fine so long as it is NOT splashless or perfumed.

-Muraitic Acid- to lower the PH as needed.

I just use a measuring cup that has oz. marked on it for the dry stuff (CYA).

I hope I got all of your questions. Let me know if I missed one or if you have any more!

Kim

TA at 31 drops it turned pink so 310
35 drop turned dark pink 350 ( does it really turn red red?)

Stump I wiped the tip the first drop cause I noticed the drop was not correct. But forgot to continue. It makes sense the TA is very high. The water is super hard here. We have an indoor whole house softener

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kim great ideas:wave:

You have the bleach. Clorox is 8.25%, by the way.

You'll need some Muriatic Acid. If you can't find it with the pool stuff, look in the paint section.
You'll need stabilizer aka CYA aka CXyanuric acid. Poolmath says about 3 lbs. It comes in 4 b canisters, so one is plenty.

Chlorine to 3 FC since there's no CYA yet, then fumble with a sock and the stabilizer, and when you have the pump going, pH will likely have risen and you'll need to adjust it down with acid. As soon as all the CYA is dissolved, assume whatever you targeted is there and maintain the FC accordingly. Verify the CYA in a week. Pretty simple, huh?

Just checking if I'm on the right track with no Hatward pump and filter going.

My pool filled quicker than I realized. It is up to the bottom of the skimmer hole( skimmer not installed due to old gasket). I will be getting a new gasket for the 10 y.o. used skimmer and return, BUT of course the skimmer cracked today ( actually it's just the flapper door hing cracked) so I will have to now order a new Lomart skimmer that has a gasket. I expected to plumb the new pump and new sand filter tomorrow and have it all up and running. I did read old post about how to manage the pool when pump off line.

I got my bleach, CYA, Muriatic acid ( the stronger one), borax and baking soda ( I use these on a regular basis).

I have a submersible pump running on the CYA now. I calculated the amount of CYA for 5700 gallons based on the height of partially filled pool. Total fill should be 7600 I think. New CYA is in a sock in front of the running submersible pump tied to the ladder. I will add bleach tonite when the sun goes down and check with my great test kit in the AM.

I could put the pump on a timer to come on and off during the day after I get the CYA to dissolve. I think the new skimmer I need would take till Friday or Saturday. The bugs are having their own pool party so I can hand skim and I have a new brush. I should be loosing weight with all this work. I'm definitely stronger all over form this pool build.

So am I on the right track? I have heard of sump pumps running a long time so should I just leave it on till I get the real pump and filter on line?

Thanks all

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't need to wait for the CYA to add the bleach.

You will need to add bleach daily and brush it around to mix until the real pump and filter are going.

I wouldn't worry about anything else until the pump and filter are going. Then test pH and TA and adjust if needed. With your tap water readings, I suspect you may never need to add Borax or Baking Soda to the pool. I've never had to add any to mine.

I heard waiting till sun is down to let bleach work better. High altitude means sun would break down the bleach faster. Does the solar blanket help at all? Actually the water is quit pleasant 68, air temp 90.

Thanks Richard.

I love the sub pump idea! That was a smart move! Just let it run.

Is there any way you can move the hose so that is will cause the water to "circle" around the pool? Just thinking you do not want all of the bleach and CYA to go to one side of the pool.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.