"What a Long Stange Trip It's Been" Zappafan Pool Build

Zappafan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2014
Hampton, IL.

So it begins. This pool was originally installed in the early 80's I have polaroids of it. It was nice 80's country style just like the house. Well the lady's husband passed and she was not comfortable keeping up the pool so she had it filled and turned it into a beautiful garden. Well by the picture you can tell that my wife and I are not green thumbers to that extreme. Once we purchased the house it quickly turned into a garden of weeds. So after a couple of years of looking at the weed patch and dreaming of what it could look like, we decided to redo the pool. In order to do so I knew the first thing to do was get rid of the grass hills that led down to the pool, so I started designing the wall.

The next step was what material to make it out of. After a few months of planning 3/13 thru 6/13 it was time to put the plan into action. Having a long weekend on Labor Day it sounded like the perfect time to start. I spent June getting materials staged. Labor Day get's here and here we go. I spray painted lines on the grass and got approval by the PM (you know who) and started to dig .It's gotta get worse before it get's better!

Mini EX sitting on shallow end.
After a few weeks started working on the stairs

After a week started working on the 1st set of stairs.

About two weeks later work starts on the 2nd set of stairs.

Funny Story:

In the beginning of the project I wanted to extend the wall all the way past the existing wall I had built for the hot tub deck a few years earlier. PM said nope I want it to end here so after awhile I did what any good guy would do and said "yes dear". After about two weeks working on the second set of steps she comes out (inspecting/supervising) and says to me and I quote "You were right the wall needs to go all the way to the end". After I awoke I laid in the fetal position for about an hour shivering in the late October weather. So the next day I start making phone calls ordering more block, rock and renting another mini ex. By the end of the next weekend with the help from my 11 year old son and my 73 year old dad we started and finished the tail end of the wall. By this point winter is right around the corner.

This picture shows the deep ravine in my back yard that I fortunately had to put all the spoils for the wall and pool. This also ended up giving me a flat area in the back yard. With the wall mostly complete time to put down the landscape rock and start cutting and installing caps.

Thanksgiving-Phase 1 COMPLETE!!!

The following spring. April 2014. Start digging trench for electrical and future solar piping.

Finally the pool build is starting. Hang in there with me we're almost there!

Now I'm no genius and wanting to give professional courtesy I said to my pool builder "how is the liner going to fit over these stairs that you poured when the stairs are so unsymmetrical?" He responded that he had already ordered the liner and that it would "stretch".
Finally water! My youngest one just couldn't contain himself.

The Liner

There aren't words to describe how mad I was! Besides the liner not fitting when I got home from work he had added what ever you want to call it to the bottom of the steps. I called a great place to slip and break an ankle as soon as you enter the pool. And everyone did.
Time to keep moving forward and finish. Will deal with PB later.

Later that fall I gave the PB the opportunity to come back and fix it. He tried, he couldn't, he got fired!

Are you kidding me? At least we got to swim the rest of the season before he tried to repair it. NEXT!

Steel fabricated steps and correct measurement voila! Our new PB did an awesome job. Thank you!!!

WHEW!

Hope you all enjoy my story as much as I have enjoyed watching other peoples build.

Be Kind!

Excellent work Zappafan! You have got some Mason skills. Pool is beautiful and way better than it having been a garden. Nice reclaim by you and your helpers.

Thanks so much for sharing 'The Rest of the Story' after you gave us a little trailer in your earlier thread! I loved it all from beginning to end. You have such a beautiful place. You used your skills and talents to enhance the place. I think the couple who formerly owned it would have been so pleased! When you give your heart and soul to a place, you want it 'to go to a good home' so to speak. You guys have made sure of that. It's truly a special place coming from special people. Bravo!

Don't disappear on us! I have a feeling you're not the type to sit back. Let us in on your updates!! Your knowledge and experience is invaluable to others who come across this forum!!!

Take care. Suz.

WOW! What a journey! Your skills are wonderful! I love everything you did!

The wall sure did need to go all the way to the end! Good for you for not doing it until she saw it for herself. SMART man LOL!

Who dug out the old pool? You or the first pool builder?

Did you let your son drive the big boy toy?

Great job!

Thanks for sharing!

Kim

I dug out part of it and the old pool guy got the rest of it. Yeah I let his have a short run in it scared me half to death. Real smart let an 11 year old city boy do the drivin.

WOW! What a journey! Your skills are wonderful! I love everything you did!

The wall sure did need to go all the way to the end! Good for you for not doing it until she saw it for herself. SMART man LOL!

Who dug out the old pool? You or the first pool builder?

Did you let your son drive the big boy toy?

Great job!

Thanks for sharing!

Kim

Re: "What a Long Stange Trip It's Been" Zappafan Pool Build

Thanks a lot. No I still have a retainer and have not spoke with him since last fall. I keep watching to see if he tries to put a lean on. I am on the fence as to whether go after him or eat it.

You did some really nice work. Did the first pool builder compensate you at all for the liner?

Btw nice choice of liner color, i got the same one last year, love the color of water it gives in the deep end.

Wanna hear something crazy. The 1st liner had a better color to it. It was more of that aqua color. The 2nd one it definitely more blue which we are not particularly happy about. We both wanted the lighter color. I even did a slam to see if there was something in there that was making it that color, but all I got was clear water. Do you or anybody else have any ideas other than the color of the liner is slightly different? PM was asking me to add a sequestrant to see if it would change color, it made me cringe at the thought of introducing it into my water. So I think I will take it in to a non pool store outfit and have it tested for metals.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not goin' anywhere other than to swim. Thanks for all the nice niceness!

Thanks so much for sharing 'The Rest of the Story' after you gave us a little trailer in your earlier thread! I loved it all from beginning to end. You have such a beautiful place. You used your skills and talents to enhance the place. I think the couple who formerly owned it would have been so pleased! When you give your heart and soul to a place, you want it 'to go to a good home' so to speak. You guys have made sure of that. It's truly a special place coming from special people. Bravo!

Don't disappear on us! I have a feeling you're not the type to sit back. Let us in on your updates!! Your knowledge and experience is invaluable to others who come across this forum!!!

Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is that a step down into the deep end? I've never seen this in a liner pool... It looks kinda cool.

As far as your liner being too blue compared to the other one, give it a summer or two and it will lighten up. They always lighten up and fade a bit.

This is a great story and a great pool. I am very impressed with the walls you built, and the stairs are gorgeous. I love how they flare at the bottom, and have such a graceful curve. Beautiful work! This is such a wonderful space you have created, congrats!

You can take your water to the pool store for the metal test. That is one thing they are half way good with :rolleyes:

How is your city boy going to learn to be a country boy if you do not let him drive toys like that? LOL

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.