(using Taylor K2006 kit)
Two weeks ago I went on vacation and put one puck in the skimmer while I was gone. I'd had some algae problems earlier this summer and didn't want to risk more while I was gone. The pool was left up over the winter, drained partly, and I added lots of bleach after refilling when we opened in May, but no CYA. I believe I was previously reading the CYA level incorrectly b/c I had always written down <100 and now I realize the scale reads from bottom to top, duh.
We have had a ton of rain this summer so I am surprised the CYA is still so high. I had not been able to test it for awhile b/c the test kit ran out of the reagent and I had to order more. A few days ago the pool was starting to look green and I didn't have time to test it (working full time long hours) so I added a half gallon of bleach. I was planning to add borates to help combat the algae so tested everything today (refills arrived in mail)
FC 5.5 ppm
CC 0.5 ppm
TA 90 ppm
CYA >100 (diluted 50/50 with tap water - 80, so really 160)
CH 100 ppm
I was all set to add muriatic acid since I'd bought it in preparation for the borates anyway, only to realize I need to do something about the CYA first.
I have a science background but chemistry was my weakest part - if CYA is acid, why is my pH so high?
Is one puck in a ~5000 gal pool really that bad, or perhaps it's been too high all along and I didn't realize it from reading the scale wrong. Is draining my only choice now?
Is the water dangerous to swim in with the CYA that high?