Partial pool drain

AV8TOR

Dec 6, 2008
Fort Worth TX
Soon I plan on doing a 50% pool drain to get my CYA down (everything else is right on). It seems pretty straight forward but is there anything of concern I should watch out for? What about the filter, obviously it will be off but will it need re-primed before starting it again?

Use the pool pump to get down to the bottom of the skimmers, then if you have a main drain and can shut-off the skimmers, keep going until you lose prime. You won't get to halfway without an external pump with most pool systems.

Some areas have restrictions about draining (and backwashing for that matter).
Where I am, I have to drain into the sewer, not the street or ground.
(But I can backwash onto the ground, as it's a relatively small amount of water.)
--paulr

PaulR said:
Some areas have restrictions about draining (and backwashing for that matter).
Where I am, I have to drain into the sewer, not the street or ground.
(But I can backwash onto the ground, as it's a relatively small amount of water.)
--paulr

That is the same in my area. I have French drains that I believe are connected to the sewer because there are no drains to the curb/street so that is where I plan on draining it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.