Completed 2/3 drain, CYA down to 100.

Long story short, Wife was having problem with Algee, I ran the test on the Taylor K-2006 and found CYA was literally off the charts. At the 1.8 mark on tube I lost the black dot. i just finished draining and refilling 2/3 of the pool and the latest test comes in right at 100. I can't say I'm surprised.

I just got the water level back to normal, these are the initial readings.
FC - 1.2
PH - 7.0
TA - 70

Followed jblizzle's advise and did another 50% drain. CYA is down to 60, that seems manageable and I can work with that. After the pool was filled, adjusted Total Alk to 100, and PH is 7.4. Water is clear.

I used 4 1-lb. bags of Cal-Hypo and free chlorine is now 10. Combined chlorine shows zero. Not at the poolmath SLAM level but at least we have working chlorine again. I also have 2 1-gallon jugs of 10% sodium hypochlorite. My next questions is can I add the sodium hypoclorite in with the cal-hypo to bring the pool to SLAM level, or should I just stick with the Cal-Hypo? Thanks all.

You can add the liquid. The prohibition on mixing forms of chlorine is generally in a confined space or in the pool quickly together. Th CalHypo you added should be well mixed now, so you can add other chemicals including liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.