Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Completed 2/3 drain, CYA down to 100.

1. Back To Top    #1

Completed 2/3 drain, CYA down to 100.

Long story short, Wife was having problem with Algee, I ran the test on the Taylor K-2006 and found CYA was literally off the charts. At the 1.8 mark on tube I lost the black dot. i just finished draining and refilling 2/3 of the pool and the latest test comes in right at 100. I can't say I'm surprised.

I just got the water level back to normal, these are the initial readings.
    FC - 1.2
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 70
    Kevin B, Maryville Tennessee.
    13000 gallon, 16x32 Oval 4' deep AG.
    Sand Filter and Turbo King 2Hp pump.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Completed 2/3 drain, CYA down to 100.

Welcome to TFP!!!

The best path forward would be another 50% water replacement and then following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate the algae.

And then making sure you are not adding chemicals that are raising the CYA level any more.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am glad you have a good test kit. You will have your pool clear and balanced in no time!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Followed jblizzle's advise and did another 50% drain. CYA is down to 60, that seems manageable and I can work with that. After the pool was filled, adjusted Total Alk to 100, and PH is 7.4. Water is clear.

I used 4 1-lb. bags of Cal-Hypo and free chlorine is now 10. Combined chlorine shows zero. Not at the poolmath SLAM level but at least we have working chlorine again. I also have 2 1-gallon jugs of 10% sodium hypochlorite. My next questions is can I add the sodium hypoclorite in with the cal-hypo to bring the pool to SLAM level, or should I just stick with the Cal-Hypo? Thanks all.
    Kevin B, Maryville Tennessee.
    13000 gallon, 16x32 Oval 4' deep AG.
    Sand Filter and Turbo King 2Hp pump.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can add the liquid. The prohibition on mixing forms of chlorine is generally in a confined space or in the pool quickly together. Th CalHypo you added should be well mixed now, so you can add other chemicals including liquid chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

SLAM away!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!