New VS Pump-What RPM for chem's & 24r?

Jun 26, 2013
Texas City, TX
Now that I'm running my pool 24hr with a VS pump, I need some help. What is recommended RPMs for 24hr running for my size pool in HOT Texas? And when I add chemicals, what RPMs and for how long at that higher RPM? I've been pouring the bleach in around the midnight hour. Some say you should ramp up during hot part of day? Hard to get a hold of Pentair tech support! Not that I believe them any way.

Why are you running your pump so long?

In most cases, there is no reason to run for 24 hr, or 12 hr or even 8 hr. The only reason to run pump more than about 2 hours for chlorination is to clean the debris that falls in the pool.

Read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

As for speed, that depends on the objective. Given that every pool is different with different needs, it is hard to tell you exactly what RPM needs to be. Start at 1000 RPM and see if the skimmers are removing debris off the top of the pool. If not, increase.

Do you have a cleaner?

Here is what I do. We have lots of trees and SWG.

1100 rpm keeps my SWG happy and does a nice job of skimming with 80% skimmer and 20% drain. So, when trees are dropping stuff like mad we run the pump 24x7 for maximum skimming and to keep stuff off the bottom. We flip it to 12 hrs during slow tree season. 1100 rpm draws 150 watts and costs less than $12/mo to run 24x7.

The SWG is on its own timer so we run it during pump run times. I think it is going 7 hours at 60% right now.

We also have solar panels and the solar controller bumps the pump to 1950 rpm when solar heat is needed. 550 watts for that.

Other speeds are 1500 rpm for skimming and waterfall. 2550 for solar, skimming and waterfall.

It took some time and experimentation to arrive at these numbers. We love our VS pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.