Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New VS Pump-What RPM for chem's & 24r?

1. Back To Top    #1

Texas City, TX

New VS Pump-What RPM for chem's & 24r?

Now that I'm running my pool 24hr with a VS pump, I need some help. What is recommended RPMs for 24hr running for my size pool in HOT Texas? And when I add chemicals, what RPMs and for how long at that higher RPM? I've been pouring the bleach in around the midnight hour. Some say you should ramp up during hot part of day? Hard to get a hold of Pentair tech support! Not that I believe them any way.
    18+K gal, IG diamond brite, 60 sqft DE Filter, Pentair intelliflo VS pump
    Attached spa + Pentair Mastertemp heater 400,000 BTU
    Built 1989, re-plastered early 2000s; new equip 2015
    Operator Proficiency: 1 year BBB follower

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: New VS Pump-What RPM for chem's & 24r?

Why are you running your pump so long?

In most cases, there is no reason to run for 24 hr, or 12 hr or even 8 hr. The only reason to run pump more than about 2 hours for chlorination is to clean the debris that falls in the pool.

Read this: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

As for speed, that depends on the objective. Given that every pool is different with different needs, it is hard to tell you exactly what RPM needs to be. Start at 1000 RPM and see if the skimmers are removing debris off the top of the pool. If not, increase.

Do you have a cleaner?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Here is what I do. We have lots of trees and SWG.

1100 rpm keeps my SWG happy and does a nice job of skimming with 80% skimmer and 20% drain. So, when trees are dropping stuff like mad we run the pump 24x7 for maximum skimming and to keep stuff off the bottom. We flip it to 12 hrs during slow tree season. 1100 rpm draws 150 watts and costs less than $12/mo to run 24x7.

The SWG is on its own timer so we run it during pump run times. I think it is going 7 hours at 60% right now.

We also have solar panels and the solar controller bumps the pump to 1950 rpm when solar heat is needed. 550 watts for that.

Other speeds are 1500 rpm for skimming and waterfall. 2550 for solar, skimming and waterfall.

It took some time and experimentation to arrive at these numbers. We love our VS pump!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Could you elaborate on the drain/skimmer ratio? Our pool builder just left both skimmer and main drains X2 valves wide open. I was wondering if I should throttle one back.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter