RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!

RE: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!

New Pool build in FL. Comments and advice requested, welcomed, encouraged! The shape is basically done but the rest can still be modded. Thanks to all who have posted builds here, I followed several. We have a builder we really like and after a year of planning and changing plans we took the dive this week! The sketch is close, but the form ultimately was designed around the various aspects of the property (it basically follows stakes we had developed over time with a lot of moving things around and planning). We particularly wanted to work around a Dogwood and ornamental Japanese Magnolia.

Dimensions vary based n the "free" free form, but it is around 34-36 ft in length straight across with a width of roughly 20 ft of open pool at the wider points plus two beaches of around 7 ft in depth; one beach is 8-9 inches in the shallow end and the other is 2 ft deep (for Adirondack chairs) at the deep end. There are two benches also speced, one under the fountain and one linking the beaches/sun shelves together. Premix Marbletite Freestone small pebble finish, 1 inch glass tile on the tile line and lining the shelves and steps. Travertine paver decking (something light but colors are still being finalized). Pentair color LED yardlights tied in to pool controls.

The following is what is currently speced along with some open options (all equipment is Pentair):

-#3 reinforcing bar placed 12’ on center max and tied at every intersection
-5500 psi shotcrete poured to 9 inches
-2 inch minimum schedule 40 pvc with 3 way valves at the pump
-3 wall returns
-2 skimmers
-1 cleaner line
-2 main drains
-2 LED bubblers in the shallow sunshelf
-2 5g intellibrite lights one shallow end and one deep end
-1 5g intellibrite spa light in the deeper sunshelf
-Water feature with 2 shear decent water falls (either 24 or 30 inches each)
-(still considering 3 magicstream laminars or deck jets on the water feature shooting to deep middle and shallow end)
-3HP Intelliflo vs pump for pool filtering
- we just added a 2HP one speed water feature pump (unsure of model at this point)
I-ntellichlor IC40 salt generator
-140k Pentiar ultratemp heat pump with heat/cool
-Cartridge filter
-Easytouch 8 controller

pool overead image.jpgpool steeled 1.jpg

Re: New Builder Build in FL, advice/comments please!

Oh, that's going to be lovely! The shape is wonderful. I love that you have so much width along with length! And TWO sun shelfs? Heaven in my books! Beauty and grace all in one pool! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your build with us!
Take care.
Suz.

Looks like a very nice build. Quite a bit of thought went into this. I'm sure you'll have lots of enjoyment. We also tried to work around existing trees and the larger pool building equipment compressed the tree roots. We tried all sorts of things to help the tree along, but after three years of trying to nurse the tree back into a healthy state, we elected to remove it. Mind you the tree never died, but two were planted at the same time in the yard. The "other" tree grew to about 15x the tree with the compressed roots.

Hopefully you will have a better experience!

Bill

Thanks Amy, we are very happy so far but we realize there is a lot of ground left to cover in the build. Suz, thanks for the encouragement, I really like your design as well, particularly the wrapping stairs. We are contemplating some very similar colors to your choices as well, I cant wait to see your pool finis filled with those tile choices. Bill, thanks for the kind words. I am very concerned about our trees a handling the inherent trauma as well,just praying they hold up to the build. -Shep

Looks like it will be a beauty! We put a seating bench from our sun deck (9" inches deep) to our stairs and love it! It is a great place to sit, and also to stroll along when the water is a bit chilly and I am working up the courage to take the plunge. Somehow strolling along the perimeter isn't as wimpy as standing still on the stairs.

Oh yeah! Another Florida person!

I love the bench connecting the two shelfs! The "swimming" lane will be great to get some laps in.

I see that you do not list unions for the equipment. Make sure those are added for the pump and filter. VERY important for future care and maintenance.

Keep the pics coming!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So we are working on finalizing our color choices. Our house is a light green (it is visible in some of the pics) so we want to pick a plaster that will compliment rather than clash and our builder uses Pre-Mix Marbletite. St. Thomas is winning at the moment, does anyone have experience/pics of Tahoe or Cancun? We are shooting for a medium blue that falls somewhat towards the blue/green or gray spectrum vs "true blue".

I could find the St. Thomas but could not find the other two. Could you please post the links or even better pics of each color? I want to help you spend your money!

Kim

I could not find pool examples of the color either, I am hoping maybe someone here has built a pool with those colors. Cancun is new, so maybe it is to soon for a finished pool to be out there, but Tahoe appears to have been around a while. I am going to contact the manufacturer, if I have any luck I will post whatever example pool pics I receive for others who may be in the same boat.

concrete%2014.jpg.html

The rain took care of the watering for today (after we had already done it with the hose) :D

Now pool finish color; that is the big question. The house does present some challenges in regard to color, as does all the greenery near the pool. The following is our current thinking, comments good or bad are welcome, particularly if anyone has had similar experiences.

I spent many hours last weekend studying color and how it is achieved in pools; it was a good start but there is still much to know. The color choice we settled into as a target is a deep turquoise, something with green ues but without falling into the green family. Achieving that color is another matter altogether. As a preliminary matter, we are pretty set on ivory select travertine pavers (slight beiges, etc) and a dark brown coping;

For tile we favor a turquoise glass tile, the following is our current top choice (a 2x2);

As for the color itself, the challenge is that our pool finisher only uses premix marbletite, which has very limited photo support for its product. If I had my choice, I would give major consideration to Wet Edge technologies based on the look of its product and its great product support (including color selection). With that said, I do have strong testimonial for the quality of the Marbletite product. Here is the color family we are shooting for:

The competitor color for such a pool looks more or less like this:

To match this color I am thinking about a gray plaster base pebble in the Marbletite line like Tahiti, but adding the teal, extra black and blue add in quartz crystals offered by the company to achieve a similar result. Here is Tahiti without the add in crystals;

My PB strongly prefers the three true blues, light medium and dark corresponding to Oslo, St. Thomas and Antigua, respectively. Another option I am considering is Panama with or without the add in crystals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.