IC40 cell lost power

ruggy

May 17, 2010
My pool has been open for about a month. The other day, the unit lost power. Everything else has power, not sure what to do. Called the pool guy who installed it in 2011, however, he's not heard back from Pentair and told me to switch to chlorine tabs until the unit is back online. He doesn't know when that would be. It's the older unit, as there is no easy touch control panel. I looked for a fuse or something to switch on, but there wasn't one. The bulb in the control panel is off.

Any ideas on what to do here? Thank you.

Ruggy,

I would suspect that your control panel/power supply has lost its source of power or that the internal fuse is open. Not sure your unit is the same, but the ones I have seen have a fuse mounted on the bottom behind the IC40 cable. It looks like a cap with a common screw driver slot. Your panel has to be connected to power somewhere, so follow the AC power cable out the bottom of the box and see where it goes. I would assume a circuit breaker panel. Check and see if one of the breakers is popped.

If installed in 2011, your IC40 cell may be bad, but I'd check out the power supply first.

Did your pool guy come out and look at it or did he just do a telephone drive by?

Jim R.

Ruggy,

I would suspect that your control panel/power supply has lost its source of power or that the internal fuse is open. Not sure your unit is the same, but the ones I have seen have a fuse mounted on the bottom behind the IC40 cable. It looks like a cap with a common screw driver slot. Your panel has to be connected to power somewhere, so follow the AC power cable out the bottom of the box and see where it goes. I would assume a circuit breaker panel. Check and see if one of the breakers is popped.

If installed in 2011, your IC40 cell may be bad, but I'd check out the power supply first.

Did your pool guy come out and look at it or did he just do a telephone drive by?

Jim R.

He said he came by and tested everything. He was unable to figure out what was wrong and then said he called Pentair. Now waiting for a call back. I reset all the breakers on the house, but that didn't do anything. How do I check to see if it's the cell or the power box without having to call an electrician? I also do not want to have to buy a new cell if I do not have to.

Ruggy,

I can only assume your PB has already done this, but just in case... Did you check the fuse as I suggested? Based upon your comments above, I doubt you have a voltmeter, it not, it would be better to let the PB or his electrician handle it.
The only thing I can think of, without a voltmeter, would be to unscrew the IC40 cable from the bottom of the panel and see of the panel light comes back on. If so, then I would assume the cell is toast.

Jim R.

Ruggy,

Sounds to me like the power center is bad or not getting an AC input. Normally you want the power center to have power only when the pump is running. So I suspect the power center is wired to a timer some where. The very first thing you need to do is confirm that the power center is getting an AC input. How about a picture of your equipment pad showing the power center and where the AC input wire is coming from..?

Jim R.

Those are the ones that I literally just bought for my ic20. My blown fuse thread is one below yours. I'm on fuse number 3 ��

I bought glass from the a store to tide me over. I don't know the difference if there is an electrical person around to explain, they will be by soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.