Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning a filter cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning a filter cartridge?

I have the filter from my pool last year. It was only used for about 3 weeks before my pool turned into a swamp. I pulled it out today and ut doesn't look that bad. I've got it soaking in bleach after rinsing with hot water and brushing the debris out.
    Do you think I'll be able to reuse in the new pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cleaning a filter cartridge?

I am not a cartridge owner but there is an article in Pool School on how to clean cartridge filters.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

See Cleaning a Cartridge Filter. You do NOT want to soak the cartridges in bleach, certainly not anything too concentrated. How much bleach did you put into how much water? Was the water you used tap water so had no CYA in it?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Tap water and about a cup of bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

I use a standard Hayward replacement type cartridge for my pool. Typically I just use a good water nozzle to apply a good direct stream of water down the "ribs" of my filter. I keep a spare on-hand just in case. The spare I soaked in a mixture of regular tap water and Cascade (granular) dishwashing soap. It did a fairly good job. But my cartridge is only about $50 through Amazon, so it's almost just as easy to buy a new one rather than to try and salvage one through soaking rinsing, etc, etc.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

So one cup of 8.25% bleach in 15 gallons (say in a 20 gallon garbage can) would be 360 ppm FC. That's not enough to destroy the cartridge (at least not very quickly) so that is good, but you don't need to do this since cleaning is more effectively done using trisodium phosphate (TSP) or dishwashing detergent or a commercial cartridge cleaner as described in the Pool School article.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Was trying to see if I could save this filter....I hate to throw away money lol.