Have owned our pool (and house) for 3 weeks now. A friend shocked it for us after it was green a month ago and believe it's now in pretty good shape. He used his TF-100 to test and balance the pool. Since owning it we've replaced the SWG and added some salt to make the SWG happy (good level) and are still running the pump about 18 hrs a day with the SWG at 20%. Bumped it up to 40% w/some heavy rains for one day as Cl dropped to about 2 ppm. Using a basic test Cl has generally been 3+ppm. Have also added a few cups of acid to bring down the pH from 8-8.2 to a consistent 7.8.
Water has remained clear, but still getting some white cloudiness (remaining algae?) when we brush the pool. Had some brown algae on the sides this morning, but it came off fairly easily with the brush.
Just got our TF-100 and did our first tests this morning.
FC-5, CC-0, TC-5
1. For CH test after step 2 & TA after step 3, the color was more pink than red. Just wanted to clarify some sort of shade of red is normal/ok?
2. For CYA test I see why you say this test is subjective. The black dot was nearly gone around 40 or even a bit more-had to stare 1-2 seconds to still see it. But completely gone at 35. At what point do I really need to stop? (maybe a dumb question)
3. Do we need to get the CH down to the recommended 250-400 and if so how? I can read up on this too in the forums.
4. How do we get our CYA up to recommended 60-80 ppm? Again, I can do some reading.
5. Any recommendations for pump/SWG usage?
Thanks in advance!