Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metals staining?

1. Back To Top    #1

Metals staining?

Hey gang,
    First time posting, so thanks in advance for any help.
    We opened the pool this year to what looked like algae on the surfaces of the vinyl, but it wouldn't brush off. Did some reading here and it seems like it is metal stains. We tested this stain by rubbing it with a lemon and an orange and it did lighten the stains somewhat. The pool store recommended a citrus stain eliminator made by Spec Chem. So now we're letting the chlorine levels drop to the recommended 0.0 to 0.1.
    My questions is: now what? My head is spinning from the different advice. Sequester agents, how to bring up the chlorine levels, etc, etc. Can anyone provide an easily understood step by step on how to deal with this whole process? Again, thanks in advance!
    17' x 35' oval in-ground, outdoor, w/steps, vinyl liner (14 years old). Sand filter. Two skimmers and one main drain in pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metals staining?

You are going to have to pick one set of recommendations and stick with it. Mixing/matching advice is a recipe for disaster.

Here is how we would recommend you handle it: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I followed the directions above in the link you provided (thanks). We finally got the chlorine dropped down to 0.00 and we put in 2lbs of citric acid, and it was amazing to watch the stains disappear. It worked well. There's still a few spots left though. However we woke up this morning to a very cloudy pool.
    A few questions: (19,500 gal. in-ground, vinyl liner)
    - What do we do about the cloudy water?
    -Exactly how much chlorine at a time do we reintroduce?
    -The Jack's Magic is the sequestering agent, right? How much at a time do we put in the pool, and how do we do it? Broadcast over the surface? In the skimmer?
    Thanks so much for your help. It's amazing you all take the time to help strangers. I'm most grateful you're out there!
    17' x 35' oval in-ground, outdoor, w/steps, vinyl liner (14 years old). Sand filter. Two skimmers and one main drain in pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

What is your CYA level? Bring chlorine up to target level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

More on sequestering here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach