dumb electric question about gfci plug for intex

Pv2

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
south east Arizona
Hi All:

I finally broke down and ordered the sand filter and larger pump for my pool. The little toy is still grinding away, pool looks great, but running it all the time is asking for trouble I am sure. I still half want to see how long it will last but I suppose keeping it for a back up is a saner idea.

Anyway, the Intex products all seem to come with a gfci built into the plugs, but we installed a gfci receptacle for the electric out there before I even opened the box. At the time I cut the male version off the pump cord and just used a three prong replacement plug. I am feeling lazy (and it is another 20 mile trip to town for another, or I have to take the one off the small pump) so my question is:

Is there any reason I shouldn't plug the Intex gfci plug into a gfci receptacle?

This is more of a safety issue then anything.
Let's just look at this for a second.

'The ground-fault circuit interrupter, or GFCI, is a fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electric power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. It works by comparing the amount of current going to and returning from equipment along the circuit conductors.'

'A ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) or Residual Current Device (RCD) is a device that shuts off an electric power circuit when it detects that current is flowing along an unintended path, such as through water or a person. It is used to reduce the risk of electric shock, which can cause the heart to stop or cause burns. They can also prevent some fires, like when a live wire touches a metal conduit.'

I would suggest having at least one GFCI in place when dealing with water.

Edit: Most non-Intex pumps do not come with a GFCI end and are just expected to be plugged into a GFCI receptable.

While it is not a good idea to have duplicate GFCIs on a circuit, the main reason is to,avoid having to search to see which GFCI tripped when the power goes out. With a cord end GFCI plugged into a GFCI receptacle this is really not an issue.

The National Electrical Code (if adopted in your area) requires outdoor receptacles to be protected by a GFCI. The NEC also requires a cord end GFCI for seasonal pools like your Intex. Just go ahead and use them like they are.

It is never a good idea to cut off a cord end GFCI as it then looses the UL certification on the product. At that point should there be an accident, both the manufacturer and your homeowners insurance can deny liability because of the modification. JMHO, YMMV

While it is not a good idea to have duplicate GFCIs on a circuit, the main reason is to,avoid having to search to see which GFCI tripped when the power goes out. With a cord end GFCI plugged into a GFCI receptacle this is really not an issue.

The National Electrical Code (if adopted in your area) requires outdoor receptacles to be protected by a GFCI. The NEC also requires a cord end GFCI for seasonal pools like your Intex. Just go ahead and use them like they are.

It is never a good idea to cut off a cord end GFCI as it then looses the UL certification on the product. At that point should there be an accident, both the manufacturer and your homeowners insurance can deny liability because of the modification. JMHO, YMMV

Thanks! So it won't hurt anything to leave it on and actually I SHOULD leave it on? Figures. Well that was done before I found this fabulous site and it would seem there was no harm done up to this point. No real homeowners insurance available out here, though we have "farm-wide" liability coverage.

Yea, while many times those of us who are a little handy think - why the heck did they do that? when we purchase something, it is generally a,bad idea to modify something already put together as a system.

But, sometimes you just have to "fix" something......

I had to remove my Intex pump GFCI - the redundant GFCIs repeatedly tripped my pump off. I have a SWG, and when it detects no flow, it turns itself off, often tripping it's own GFCI!

From what I read here, a lot of Intex owners have this problem. A single wall GFCI is sufficient to protect you and your pump.

Interestingly, I never had to remove my SWG GFCI. I have no idea why that redundancy is okay when redundancy on the pump is so problematic. Probably has to do with amp draw or something.

In my to be sold house for the above ground pool pump I have (hold on to your chair) 5 GFCIs. First the breaker, then three outlets in series in the three bathrooms, and then it goes outside to the pump's doghouse. Nuts! Not my idea. Always tripped the last bathroom's breaker, not the one it plugs into. And when it got serious last weekend, started tripping the breaker in the box. Stupid wiring, if you ask me. But...it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.