Continued CircuPool issue

Todd S

Jun 28, 2015
Ocean Springs MS
I received a replacement SJ-30 controller from the manufacturer due to shutdown issues at low (25%-50%) settings. The shutdown at low settings has disappeared but I don't think it's generating as much as it should. In SuperCL (boost) mode, I'm only able to raise the level 1ppm over 12 hours at night. According to the pool calculator, that would be about 2oz of chlorine gas but the SJ-30 is rated for 12oz over that period. Reading though the forums, I'm seeing where cell voltages are usually upwards of 20v. I measured across the CellLeft and CellRight terminals inside the controller and at 75%, both the old and new controller are running at 5.3v. Could this be correct? I wanted to sanity-check my findings with the forum before calling the manufacturer again on Monday.

FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 190
Salt 3800

I think you need to call them. Their support guys are great.

BTW, what are your voltages in the read out when you are generating?

Using the button to scroll through the readings, I run around 24 v 5.8 amps at >4000 ppm salt (which is too high).

Unfortunately, when I ordered an Si, I was "upgraded" to the SJ which has no readout. I was using my digital multimeter and testing inside the unit across the two leads that go to big plates in the cell.

I can't imagine there being that much difference between how an Si and SJ cell works. I'm most certainly calling them on Monday.

If you have your manual, page 14:
7) Menu: Press sequentially to cycle through the following information:
1. Pool Temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius)
2. Cell Voltage (in many cases 21.0 to 27.0 volts when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 16-31V)
3. Cell Current (in many cases 2.50 to 7.80 amps when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 0 amps during normal rest cycles.)
4. Real-Time Salinity reading ( xxxx ppm or x.x grams/Liter.)
5. System ID
6. Software revision level
7. Cell Version.

You'll probably be doing it with the tech guy anyway!

FYI:
http://www.discountsaltpool.com/CircuPool-RJ-Series-Chlorine-Generator-Manual.pdf

NS?

Call back and ask for Julius 936 372-1515

It's probably not a terrible idea to check your phosphates at a pool store just in case it comes up again. They'll be glad to and try to sell you anti phosphate chemicals, which you don't need.

Checked for phosphates using a Lamotte kit. Looks like 300. Support says under 150. I tested my tapwater almost as high.

Support dispatched a cell now due to arrive this week. That will mean the whole thing will have been replaced. I should have gone to bleach...

Took the nuclear option - SLAMed the pool. CYA 80 PH 7.2 TA 70 CH 190 FC at 23.5 just after dark. 22.5 the next morning. I am confident that the pool is sanitized. The new cell arrived and I replaced the original. The whole system has been changed now. The cell voltage is still low at 6.4v.

I think I'm done with this...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took the nuclear option - SLAMed the pool. CYA 80 PH 7.2 TA 70 CH 190 FC at 23.5 just after dark. 22.5 the next morning. I am confident that the pool is sanitized. The new cell arrived and I replaced the original. The whole system has been changed now. The cell voltage is still low at 6.4v.

Could this be a 220 volt unit hooked up to 110 v?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.