Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG- should generator be running when adding chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG- should generator be running when adding chlorine

I need to bring up my FC level and was wondering if the SWG should be running when I add the chlorine or off?? I've read the manual front to back and did some research but have yet to find out the correct process. I don't want to mess my SWG up..

thank you!
    20' x 48" Round AGP (Pro series),
    Krystal Clear Model 635T filter pump
    SWG Krystal Clear Model CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG- should generator be running when adding chlorine

Welcome. Do you have correct salt added and mixed? Do you have cya level at 70 or 80? Take FC to 3 if you haven't yet and keep it there till the SWG can run. Got one of our recommended test kits?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, apparently that was my first problem, we didn't add the right amt of salt to start. I added some yesterday and tested Salt and it's in the right range now.(Salt test strips) My PH is good the CYA is @ 30-50 range....I had read "somewhere" ( done lot of reading) that get the Salt level right first, then do the FC, since my PH is good.... I have some stabilizer on hand and a shock treatment....b/c now I have algae ...but I know I have to get the FC up before I can do anything else...right? I have the copper test strips that came with the SWG and 3 Way test strips that came with it also. Then I have the 6 way test strips. I seen on here someplace to us a FAS/DPD kit... I will pick one up later today...but in meantime strips is what I have. We have had a TON of rain and I've not had any algae before...just very frustrated...lol

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't matter. The pump needs to be running when you add bleach. The SWG can be on or off. If the FC level got where it was from the SWG, that water would be passing through on the next go-round. It's just a machine - it doesn't know where the FC came from.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I always shut off my generator when adding granular chemicals since they go from the bottom drain directly through he SWG cell and through automatic pool sweep if it's the suction type.

Bleach and acid, if liquid and pored into the water return is pretty quickly diluted, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you were dumping in lot for some reason. Granular chemicals, especially salt, don't get diluted much before they wind up going through the SWG.

Given the replacement cost, a little TLC may not be a bad idea.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    I always shut off my generator when adding granular chemicals since they go from the bottom drain directly through he SWG cell and through automatic pool sweep if it's the suction type.

Bleach and acid, if liquid and pored into the water return is pretty quickly diluted, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you were dumping in lot for some reason. Granular chemicals, especially salt, don't get diluted much before they wind up going through the SWG.

Given the replacement cost, a little TLC may not be a bad idea.
    Chuckiechan, is your SWG in the suction line? It should be in the return line, after the heater but before the returns, so nothing but filtered water passes through the cell.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

OK thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

No, it's Pump to filter to SWG.

Don't the grains go into the filter and as they dissolve in the rapid water flow send high concentrations of chemical into the SWG at unpredictably high concentrations?
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    No, it's Pump to filter to SWG.

Don't the grains go into the filter and as they dissolve in the rapid water flow send high concentrations of chemical into the SWG at unpredictably high concentrations?
    They'll still go through the SWG whether it's running or not. And we recommend using a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return when adding granular CYA, not dumping it into the skimmer directly. Other granular products are either premixed and poured in front of a return or broadcast across the surface. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals explains how to add each chemical.