Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long your Ultra Frame INTEX lasted?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long your Ultra Frame INTEX lasted?

How long it last? and what was the reason for the fail?

Thank you
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long your Ultra Frame INTEX lasted?

We have had two...first one frame rusted out. That one was first on the market at the time and it lasted about 4-5 years. Our second and current one is about three years and frame is good but leaks loosing about and inch every twelve hours. The leaks are somewhere under bladder. For the cost and the number of intex pools purchased (our first was 12' bladder, then 18" bladder, then 24' Framed, and currently 24' Ultra Frame) we opted to bite the bullet and purchase a more permanent resin hybrid pool. The Intexs were nice as they grew with the kids, but if budget allows you can purchase a better quality, longer lasting pool. In our particular situation we have put so much effort in site location preparation (each pool moved to new location in yard) and time and expense we should have done it years ago. Hope our experience helps you.
    33'x54" Vinyl Magnus Hybrid Pool
    Pentair Sand Filter 18"??? 1hp pump Wide Mouth Skimmer
    South Eastern VA, almost NC
    My dream pool is a self sustaining natural pool...a girl can dream. :)

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

My first.an 18', gotten taken down two months ago. It looked new. I didn't take mine down for winter, as that seems to be when the problems with holes arise. Didn't see much rust, just little spots here and there, that were definitely only on the surface. We took it down, gave it to a friend for their help leveling the ground in a different spot for the new 26' one we bought. We didn't use a SWG.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    How long it last? and what was the reason for the fail?

Thank you
    I have had the Intex 32x16x52 ultra pool up for 2 years and running saltwater system took it down replaced all of the upper frame and set back up as chlorine pool so far 2 years no rusting. The saltwater system was hard to keep the chemicals right. Not sure if it was because of where I live but I have had better luck with the chlorine system. I am upgrading to a hayward pump and sand filter today the Intex pump is old and tired.
    Last edited by katz3030; 07-11-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: forgot size of pool

5. Back To Top    #5

We had a 16X48 for two years, then upgraded to an 18X48 two years ago. All parts were in good shape with just a little surface rust here and there. Since we only have it up a little more than 3 months out of the year I suspect we'll get many more years out of it.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

This is my third year with my Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame. The first two years was fine and dandy. We moved to a new house so we took the pool down and stored it. Since we put it back up, it's been nothing but problems with leaking at the seam. I wish we had never had to take it down. I am not the only person who has had issues with the pool being fine, storing it; and then problems with leaking after being put back it. I think the issue might have something to do with the seams drying up and just aren't the same again. I am currently trying to re-seal the seams again today.

With that exception, I am more then happy with my Intex Pool and hope to get a couple more years out of it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks you all, if they last 3 years I will be more than happy, keep coming all with comments
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine is approaching 2 years and I have had no problems so far. I leave it up. it had one small hole just above the bottom on the the wall at set-up that was patched with the peel-off vinyl patch and it is still holding. I think it happened dragging that huge box out of the truck. Someone in the family didn't sweep the bed out after a load to the dump and there was broken glass in there.

I expect I will get at least a couple more years out of it. I was mostly worried about sun damage to the top where it hangs on the rails but based on two summers it still feels pretty good.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

We have had an Intex ultra frame 18x48 for 4 years. I upgraded the pump/ filter to a sand filter and also a a thru the wall skimmer this year. After the first year we changed to a salt water system. Aside from a little rust along the edges of the T unions, we have had no issues. Well worth the $200 spent. Will probably buy another for the grand kids when the time comes.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kidspoolmom View Post
    We have had two...first one frame rusted out. That one was first on the market at the time and it lasted about 4-5 years. Our second and current one is about three years and frame is good but leaks loosing about and inch every twelve hours. The leaks are somewhere under bladder. For the cost and the number of intex pools purchased (our first was 12' bladder, then 18" bladder, then 24' Framed, and currently 24' Ultra Frame) we opted to bite the bullet and purchase a more permanent resin hybrid pool. The Intexs were nice as they grew with the kids, but if budget allows you can purchase a better quality, longer lasting pool. In our particular situation we have put so much effort in site location preparation (each pool moved to new location in yard) and time and expense we should have done it years ago. Hope our experience helps you.
    I should mention we kept ours up year round. 3 years should be fine. I will recommend a good pump and filter (no cartridges). We bought a good 1 hp with 22" sand filter after second pool and we hard plumbed last year with wide mouth skimmer we installed (with water in pool). The adapters to regular plumping from Intex was challenging but well worth the effort. The pump and sand filter will serve us well with the new pool.
    33'x54" Vinyl Magnus Hybrid Pool
    Pentair Sand Filter 18"??? 1hp pump Wide Mouth Skimmer
    South Eastern VA, almost NC
    My dream pool is a self sustaining natural pool...a girl can dream. :)

11. Back To Top    #11

Hubby and I were out riding our motorcycle today and we passed a house that has the same Intex up now for 5 years now. It's not settled at all. They cover it every year and have a deck on it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter