Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool base questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Pool base questions

Currently preparing base for new pool. 33'x54" round (resin bottom rail). After reading multiple threads and internet searches, I am looking for advice on pool base. Ground is currently being leveled starting at lowest point and removing higher elevations. Hubby says sand 2-3", but after reviewing multiple install videos and threads/blogs, I am concerned about foot prints and our dreaded voles. Foam? I have read positive and negative. With the frame pools and bladders I wouldn't worry so much (and we have had several) but want to do it right. Many of the comments are that they can retain moisture and the pool liners sweat? Foam can cause gaps around frame and shifting? We have hard red clay under top soil how would that factor in? There was a great thread here about moisture content of various soils but a bit too complicated for me to fully absorb. Thanks! BTW my signature is for existing pool not new one.
    33'x54" Vinyl Magnus Hybrid Pool
    Pentair Sand Filter 18"??? 1hp pump Wide Mouth Skimmer
    South Eastern VA, almost NC
    My dream pool is a self sustaining natural pool...a girl can dream. :)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool base questions

Perhaps 1' of sand, then a Gorilla pad type pad over it. It seems if you don't enter the pool until it is completely full for a bit, the footprints would be minimal.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

We have the same size pool that you do. We put 4" of masonry sand inside the pool after the walls were up, shaping the cove as we went. I cut out heavy cardboard circles, about 3" wider than my shoes then duct taped them to my feet like snowshoes. Then I walked on the sand, smoothing, tamping, watering or whatever until it was ready for the liner. Then cleaned off my "sandshoes" to walk on the liner with during its install. The cardboard shoes prevents footprints. The pool has been up a year now and still has no footprints in it. Hope this helps.
    33 Round AGP, 26K gal, vinyl liner, 1 HP single speed pump, 1 Hayward wide mouth skimmer, Pentair sand filter, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Red Leopard Orbit suction auto vac, Pool School, TFTestkits, PoolMath, Support this Site!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by layla2052 View Post
    We have the same size pool that you do. We put 4" of masonry sand inside the pool after the walls were up, shaping the cove as we went. I cut out heavy cardboard circles, about 3" wider than my shoes then duct taped them to my feet like snowshoes. Then I walked on the sand, smoothing, tamping, watering or whatever until it was ready for the liner. Then cleaned off my "sandshoes" to walk on the liner with during its install. The cardboard shoes prevents footprints. The pool has been up a year now and still has no footprints in it. Hope this helps.

Genius!!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!