Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is weir door doing its job

1. Back To Top    #1

Is weir door doing its job

I asked about the necessity of the weir door the other day. Just installed and it appears the water is coming through the opening of the pool at the same speed, but is gushing to the skimmer/skimmer basket (like a toilet being flushed), so the water is never able to rise in the skimmer. I assume this means the door is increasing the flow rate as it is supposed to?
    Roman in ground pool (16 x34, 20,400 gallons), cleaned professional every Tuesday, with a leaf skimmer, suction cleaner connected to skimmer via hose and brush. Pool pump is currently set for 6am-1pm daily. Pool is filled with a water hose two times/week for about 40 minutes (my understanding is filling pool isn't under restrictions by my city).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is weir door doing its job

Just make sure it isn't sticking and your water level is high enough. 1/2 to 3/4 up the skimmer face....(I keep mine higher).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well, yes, but I don't like hearing you say it is gushing. Water level should be roughly halfway up on the skimmer throat and no gushing......just a steady flow. Is your water level too low?

You should keep your posts under one thread so we can see your "whole story"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Well, yes, but I don't like hearing you say it is gushing. Water level should be roughly halfway up on the skimmer throat and no gushing......just a steady flow. Is your water level too low?

You should keep your posts under one thread so we can see your "whole story"
    Thanks! Will keep under one thread in future. Water level raises about halfway up on the skimmer throat, then lowers. It's the lowering that makes the sound I described as "gushing." Maybe steady flow is better description. Sorta looks like a little waterfall. I think the water legal is fine - it's about halfway up the side opening.
    Roman in ground pool (16 x34, 20,400 gallons), cleaned professional every Tuesday, with a leaf skimmer, suction cleaner connected to skimmer via hose and brush. Pool pump is currently set for 6am-1pm daily. Pool is filled with a water hose two times/week for about 40 minutes (my understanding is filling pool isn't under restrictions by my city).