Newbie - Order of Operations

Jul 11, 2015
Manalapan / NJ
Hi All ... What a great site.

I have looked but I was unable to find a basic order of operations for a new pool.

My pool was built two days ago. Filled with new (city) water yesterday. I am trying to figure out the order / timeline for adding chemicals. I need to get this right because the kids are killing me with pressure to go swimming .. :)

I added 200 lbs of salt this morning with pump on and SWG off. How long does this have to run before I can test and turn on the SWG.

Then what are the next things to test for in order? Or can I do all the other tests and adjustments at the same time.

Also ... the water is new and fresh and clear. Can we swim while I am working on getting the numbers right?

Thank you for the advice

Welcome. 24hrs. of mixing that salt before SWG use. Kids can get in and help stir it up though. Got any CYA in that pool yet? We recommend 70 to 80 for a SWG pool. Dissolve in pantyhose in skimmer. Kids can still swim while doing that. If not, add 3 ppm of FC and let them have at it. Use 90 ounces of liquid bleach poured slowly in front of return. Replenish after use until till SWG is in use. Adjust PH to mid 7 range. Got one of our recommended test kits?

Thank you for the reply. How long until I can test the salt level in the pool?

I don't have a CYA number yet. I can test that in a little while with the Aqua check strips that came with the pool. I will order the better kit today.

If I add cya today do I not add the bleach? Is it one or the other.

I will add my numbers soon. Thanks again.

If you have not added CYA, don't bother testing. It's not in tap water - you have to add it.

Definitely use the sock method for dissolving, don't just toss it in the pool. Until the day you float the sock of cya in front of a return or place it in the skimmer assume 0 chlorine in the water for purposes of testing and adding. The last day you assume 0 will be the day you put the sock in the pool. The next day assume that the CYA is in the water and test and adjust for the target CYA you placed in the sock. Do not try to go from 0 to 70 in one CYa addition. Shoot for 40-50 at first and wat a week to,see where it actually ended up. Then adjust up to your final number. Use Pool Math to calculate additions of chemicals.

Have fun in your pool!

Thanks again for the quick replies ...

Here is some more info. Before I found this website yesterday I tested the water with the Aqua strip. With that information I used an "app" that recommended various amounts of chemicals. I put in half the recommended amount (i was afraid to do the full amounts) of Ph, CYA and TA. This morning I added the salt. After finding this site I think I did things backwards. I also just dumped the CYA in the pool (no sock). That was clearly a mistake. I ended up getting in the pool with a brush to move that stuff around to dissolve it.

I just tested the water again:

FC = 0
TA = 40
CYA = 30 - 50
PH = Is hard to read on the strip ... The color does not look to match up like the others. I think I am at 7.2 but I am not sure.

Based on this info is this my game plan:

Let pump run 24 hours with SWG off (started at 7am today)
Added 90 ounces of liquid FC today
Tomorrow morning turn on SWG and run for another 24 hours

Is that correct? When do I test the salt level? and when do i retest the other levels?

Again, I want to confirm that it is ok to swim during this time?

Thanks

Just wanted to add that I tested the salt ... figured what the he..ll ... from adding 200 pounds this morning (7am) until now (3pm) the reading is 2140 ppm.

Wanted to add to my questions in my previous post .... do I add more salt now or wait?

Thanks

Like cya it's easier to add salt than take away so I would shoot for 3200 ppm salt and call it a day. Wait 24 hours after adding to test. While you're ordering your tftkit order a salt drop test kit and speedstir. The speed stir while not necessary makes the testing easier and more consistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.