Adding salt

wal81

Feb 8, 2015
North Alabama
I need to add a bag of salt to my pool. The salt I have on hand (left to me from the pool's previous owner) is water softener salt in a yellow bag. I was surprised by how huge the salt crystals are - some are over an inch in diameter. Is this safe to use? How quickly will it dissolve, i.e. when can we get back in the pool without stepping on chunks of salt? Also, is it better to add to the shallow end or deep end, in your opinion?

SWG is reading 2700. My drop test kit reads 3000. I like to keep the salt level between 3000-3400 for my 25,000 gallon pool. We recently had a lot of rain, so I'm guessing that's why the salt level is low.

Salt is salt....I've found that the only difference in the pool salt vs. the softener salt is the size and PRICE. Since in the end it doesn't matter I just use the softener salt. It just takes a bit longer to dissolve. Use a broom to stir your pool if you are concerned about it sitting on the bottom.

Salt is salt, just make sure the softer salt is without additives. Speaking of, I haven't checked on softener salt but the price on pool salt has jumped almost 2 bucks. A $ 6 bag is now $ 8. Is there a reason or are we just getting to the time of year everybody is adding salt and driving up the price?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.