Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt

I need to add a bag of salt to my pool. The salt I have on hand (left to me from the pool's previous owner) is water softener salt in a yellow bag. I was surprised by how huge the salt crystals are - some are over an inch in diameter. Is this safe to use? How quickly will it dissolve, i.e. when can we get back in the pool without stepping on chunks of salt? Also, is it better to add to the shallow end or deep end, in your opinion?

SWG is reading 2700. My drop test kit reads 3000. I like to keep the salt level between 3000-3400 for my 25,000 gallon pool. We recently had a lot of rain, so I'm guessing that's why the salt level is low.
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt

Pool salt is a fine grain - i would not use that salt as it will take too long to dissolve. Recommend going to walmart or costco to purchase pool salt.

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

3. Back To Top    #3

And add in the deep end....

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Salt is salt....I've found that the only difference in the pool salt vs. the softener salt is the size and PRICE. Since in the end it doesn't matter I just use the softener salt. It just takes a bit longer to dissolve. Use a broom to stir your pool if you are concerned about it sitting on the bottom.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Salt is salt, just make sure the softer salt is without additives. Speaking of, I haven't checked on softener salt but the price on pool salt has jumped almost 2 bucks. A $ 6 bag is now $ 8. Is there a reason or are we just getting to the time of year everybody is adding salt and driving up the price?
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir