New and clueless

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
Hi there, my name is Sandy and we just moved into a house with an in ground vinyl pool. (Hopefully my signature show the correct details.)

Thank you you for everything I've read so far. I have a lot of question that have probably been asked before so bear with me please.

Looking forward to learning lots!

Welcome to the forum. Before You ask your questions, I've got one for you! Have you visited Pool School and read the section on getting yourself one of our recommended test kits? It will make helping you sooooooooo much easier and maintaining your pool properly that much easier as well.

Yep, I've read a lot of the pool school section. Thanks, that got me through the last couple weeks. I bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit and have been using it for the last two days. I have been using the pool calculator app to help me calculate how much bleach or borax to add.

I understand and am going to be testing the water frequently and making small adjustments. But my first question is do I need to do every test every day?

You need to test PH and chlorine every day until you get a good understanding of how they work in your pool.

It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8

It is important to keep chlorine at or slightly above target at all times for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. Don't let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow.

TA, CH and CYA can be tested weekly until you understand how they work in your pool and have them under control and you can switch to less often as needed.

You will know when you have a good understanding of your pool and its chemistry. You will get so good at it that often you will be be able to tell by looking at it that something isn't quire right. And I don't mean cuz it's green! :-D

- - - Updated - - -

You need to test PH and chlorine every day until you get a good understanding of how they work in your pool.

It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8

It is important to keep chlorine at or slightly above target at all times for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart. Don't let FC drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow.

TA, CH and CYA can be tested weekly until you understand how they work in your pool and have them under control and you can switch to less often as needed.

You will know when you have a good understanding of your pool and its chemistry. You will get so good at it that often you will be be able to tell by looking at it that something isn't quire right. And I don't mean cuz it's green! :-D

You are off to a great start and are definitely not clueless.