Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: problem - is this etching or scaling

1. Back To Top    #1

problem - is this etching or scaling

This problem seemed to sneak up on me quickly. Its 6 month old grey plaster. I have let the PH get high a few times but I can't believe enough times to cause this level of damage.

Here are links to the pictures.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...02_misc019.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...02_misc021.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...02_misc022.jpg

It looks like pitting and erosion on the horizontal surfaces, but the walls are largely unaffected. The wall return in the picture looks like scaling, but I thought these two effects were opposite sides of the problem spectrum.

I don't care about the speckled white look in the grey plaster; I actually kind of like it since it hides the mottling and streaks. However, I am concerned about the surface being rougher than unaffected plaster and the life span of the plaster.

What problem do I have and is there any way to stop it or reverse it? Where do I go from here?

Current readings = PH=7.7, TA=100, CH=350, FC=1, CC=0, CYA=30, water temp=55.

Thanks.
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: problem - is this etching or scaling

Quote Originally Posted by carlos31
    It looks like pitting and erosion on the horizontal surfaces, but the walls are largely unaffected. The wall return in the picture looks like scaling, but I thought these two effects were opposite sides of the problem spectrum.
    What kind of granular chemicals have you added?

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't use anything that is granular. Liquid Bleach with Liquidator. CYA was liquid form. Only sand or dirt blown into the pool would be granular and I don't fertilize or anything similar.
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well there goes that.

Does it have any sort of texture to it?

The buildup around the return looks like a calcium nodule which is usually benign and can be removed with a drywall sander or similar abrasive. Here's an article on them.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes, its somewhat rough not smooth like the walls which are mostly undamaged - it looks like small pits/holes in the plaster

Would high PH cause this? I thought only low PH caused this effect.

thanks,