Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installed SWG, How to test?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Installed SWG, How to test?

I got my SWG going this afternoon and am letting it run overnight. I've read the excellent post about balancing with a SWG. My question is - I have a Taylor Complete test kit I've been using pre-SWG - Which of those tests are still usable with the salt water pool and for which ones do I need a different testing method from this point? Thanks!
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installed SWG, How to test?

You will still perform the same tests. - FC, CC, PH, Cya, TA, CH and you may also want to invest in a Taylor salt test.

The SWG converts the salt to FC so you still need to know
    Those levels to know if your SWG is maintaining the right amount of FC. SWG pools need to have more CYA. 60-80 ppm

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I know I need to test those things, but can I still use the same reagents and procedures? Salt is obviously an additional test I need to do.
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it's all the same test and procedures.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

You will use the same reagents and each test is conducted in the same manner as a manually dosed pool.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

You may need to test more often at first to figure out your best SWG run time and % out put. Right now I run 2 hours in the AM, 4 hours in the afternoon and 2 hours in the evening. It's hot here and my pool is in full sun so I'm running at 60% to maintain an FC of 6.

Lisa P.

7. Back To Top    #7

^^^^ what she said^^^^
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, I found a great place to order replacement Taylor reagents. Amato Industries, in the DC area. Price was about half of what I could find on Amazon, and shipping is free. So, I ordered the two reagents needed for SW testing and I don't need a to buy a new kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

However, your "complete" kit probably has a DPD chlorine test, but you should have the FAS-DPD chlorine test so that you will be able to accurately measure within 0.5 ppm or even 0.2 ppm if you need to. You can get that kit here at TFTestkits and it will supplement what you already have. Also check out the reagent prices at TFTestkits, especially when they are discounted annually as a pack once a year since they are very economical then.

You can tell if you have a DPD chlorine test because it has a comparator tube where you see the intensity of pink/red of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, 10 while the FAS-DPD is a "count the drops" test (similar to the TA and CH titration tests) where each drop is either 0.5 ppm or 0.2 ppm FC depending on sample size. It lets you test for CC much more easily as well since with DPD it would be very hard to see 1 ppm CC when the FC was 5 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"