It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a prehistoric...

May 9, 2015
Northeast, OK
...water beetle!! We've had rain the last 3 days and the sun has come to visit today...imagine my surprise to find this thing floating dead (thank goodness). The tile on the seating ledge is 3x3 to give you an idea of the size of this thing. I included it next to a quarter. Please tell me it's just a fluke and there are no more of these things hiding out somewhere in my pool; not like I could miss them! My water was a close to perfect as it has ever been about a week or so again but last test numbers on 7-9-15 @ 7pm...

FC 4.5
pH 8
TA 120
CYA 70
CH 500

View attachment 39683
View attachment 39684

Are you sure it's not a fig beetle? They're big and clumsy and I could easily visualize one flying into a post and knocking itself into the pool. Fig beetles are iridescent green and really noisy when they fly by. And they make the alumiwood pergola ring when they crash into the slats.

Are you sure it's not a fig beetle? They're big and clumsy and I could easily visualize one flying into a post and knocking itself into the pool. Fig beetles are iridescent green and really noisy when they fly by. And they make the alumiwood pergola ring when they crash into the slats.

Richard, I wish. Oh no. I googled fig beetle and it sure reaffirmed one thing, that..that thing is a ginormous water beetle. What do you think of my numbers? Still high, I know. Don't even get me started on this other thing I just found in the skimmer....need to post that one, too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.