Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a prehistoric...

1. Back To Top    #1

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a prehistoric...

...water beetle!! We've had rain the last 3 days and the sun has come to visit today...imagine my surprise to find this thing floating dead (thank goodness). The tile on the seating ledge is 3x3 to give you an idea of the size of this thing. I included it next to a quarter. Please tell me it's just a fluke and there are no more of these things hiding out somewhere in my pool; not like I could miss them! My water was a close to perfect as it has ever been about a week or so again but last test numbers on 7-9-15 @ 7pm...

FC 4.5
    pH 8
    TA 120
    CYA 70
    CH 500

Attachment 39683
    Attachment 39684
    "I say BOOMER you say SOONER!"
    •21,000 gallon inground gunite pool
    •Pentair-PacFab Triton II Sand Filter -TR100 •Pentair-PacFab Triton Purex Challenger 1.5 H.P. Single Speed Pump
    •Taylor 2006 test kit •Dolphin Nautilus-99996323

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a prehistoric...

Are you sure it's not a fig beetle? They're big and clumsy and I could easily visualize one flying into a post and knocking itself into the pool. Fig beetles are iridescent green and really noisy when they fly by. And they make the alumiwood pergola ring when they crash into the slats.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Are you sure it's not a fig beetle? They're big and clumsy and I could easily visualize one flying into a post and knocking itself into the pool. Fig beetles are iridescent green and really noisy when they fly by. And they make the alumiwood pergola ring when they crash into the slats.
    Richard, I wish. Oh no. I googled fig beetle and it sure reaffirmed one thing, that..that thing is a ginormous water beetle. What do you think of my numbers? Still high, I know. Don't even get me started on this other thing I just found in the skimmer....need to post that one, too.
    •Pentair-PacFab Triton II Sand Filter -TR100 •Pentair-PacFab Triton Purex Challenger 1.5 H.P. Single Speed Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Your numbers? pH is too high, especially with 500 CH. FC may be too low, since I don't see that you have a SWG listed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your numbers? pH is too high, especially with 500 CH. FC may be too low, since I don't see that you have a SWG listed.
    Thanks, Richard...I need to add my bleach and calc. is telling me muratic acid as well as baking soda.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapoolma View Post
    Thanks, Richard...I need to add my bleach and calc. is telling me muratic acid as well as baking soda.
    No baking soda! Your TA is already at 120. What did you put as the target?

7. Back To Top    #7

Red face Re: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a prehistoric...

No baking soda! Your TA is already at 120. What did you put as the target?
    Oh yes. Thanks. Again. . Not sure why it said that. Usually put the target at around 90, which I know is the recommended max.