Storing Pool Robots

kgturner

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2014
Mobile, Alabama
I'm looking into buying either a Dolphin Nautilus or the Nautilus Plus. Leaning more toward the Plus right now. Where does everybody store their robots? I have a big shed in the backyard, but I'm just concerned that the heat may damage the unit. I could find a place in the house if need be, but I'm sure the wife won't be too happy about that. So......where do you keep yours when not in use?

Kevin T

I have a Dolphin DX-4, now on our 4th pool season. This unit went thru 3 power supplies in previous years, as I have no place to store it between cleanings other than uncovered near the pool.

After replacing the power supply the last time, I picked up a small vertical smoker grill cover, and now cover the power supply up at all times. And, so far, no power supply failures this year. I suspect Maytronics' power supplies aren't as "weatherproof" as I'd been led to believe.

So...word to the wise...unless you've got a covered area to store the unit/power supply between cleanings, I'd recommend picking up a cover for it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how hot my shed gets as I have not put a thermometer in it, but living in south Alabama the temps in the summer routinely get into the mid-90+ range. For reference, the temperature now at 5:10 p.m. is 91 degrees, but it feels like 104 per the heat index. I'm not certain what 104 feels like, but if it's the 5th rung of He||, then this is it.

Kevin T

I just leave mine on the dolly on the pool deck. I never actually thought about it because the power supply appears to be weather proof. If it isn't, it certainly should be. So far no problems but I'm only on my third season with it (M4).

Power source box is always in a pool storage container when not in use and the unit itself stays on its caddy when not cleaning during the season. When the pool is closed the power source goes into the garage and the unit goes into the shed.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how hot my shed gets as I have not put a thermometer in it, but living in south Alabama the temps in the summer routinely get into the mid-90+ range. For reference, the temperature now at 5:10 p.m. is 91 degrees, but it feels like 104 per the heat index. I'm not certain what 104 feels like, but if it's the 5th rung of He||, then this is it.

Kevin T

With it being that hot I would put it in a shed that has breather holes in the shed. Put some wire mesh on the openings so critters can't get in.

With it being that hot I would put it in a shed that has breather holes in the shed. Put some wire mesh on the openings so critters can't get in.

I actually cut vents in the front and back of the shed about a year ago. I put a thermometer in there last night. This afternoon it was about 94 degrees, but it had just rained. Looks like the shed *might* work for storage.

Kevin T

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've had ours for almost five years now. During the summer the robot is kept on the pool deck, but the power supply is kept inside. During the winter, everything goes back in the box and is kept in the garage. Still woks great, but the UV is starting to cause the plastic to fade (not brittle yet).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.