Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing Pool Robots

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing Pool Robots

I'm looking into buying either a Dolphin Nautilus or the Nautilus Plus. Leaning more toward the Plus right now. Where does everybody store their robots? I have a big shed in the backyard, but I'm just concerned that the heat may damage the unit. I could find a place in the house if need be, but I'm sure the wife won't be too happy about that. So......where do you keep yours when not in use?

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Storing Pool Robots

Mine stays in a shed. A little heat is fine....I wouldn't suggest "attic heat" but a shed should be no problem
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an Aquavac TigerShark and have been storing it in my shed, year round, for 10 years. No problems.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Dolphin DX-4, now on our 4th pool season. This unit went thru 3 power supplies in previous years, as I have no place to store it between cleanings other than uncovered near the pool.

After replacing the power supply the last time, I picked up a small vertical smoker grill cover, and now cover the power supply up at all times. And, so far, no power supply failures this year. I suspect Maytronics' power supplies aren't as "weatherproof" as I'd been led to believe.

So...word to the wise...unless you've got a covered area to store the unit/power supply between cleanings, I'd recommend picking up a cover for it.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how hot my shed gets as I have not put a thermometer in it, but living in south Alabama the temps in the summer routinely get into the mid-90+ range. For reference, the temperature now at 5:10 p.m. is 91 degrees, but it feels like 104 per the heat index. I'm not certain what 104 feels like, but if it's the 5th rung of He||, then this is it.

Kevin T
    16' x 32' Vinyl Liner Grecian Pool. 20,000 Gallons. Sta-Rite SuperMax 1HP Pump (PHK2RA6E-102L). W. Cooper Ranger Series 25" Sand Filter. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just leave mine on the dolly on the pool deck. I never actually thought about it because the power supply appears to be weather proof. If it isn't, it certainly should be. So far no problems but I'm only on my third season with it (M4).
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I keep mine in the garage.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Power source box is always in a pool storage container when not in use and the unit itself stays on its caddy when not cleaning during the season. When the pool is closed the power source goes into the garage and the unit goes into the shed.
    IG Vinyl -30,000 (20x40)
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter/Hayward rebuilt 1 HP Pump
    AutoPilot DIG-220 RC52 SWCG
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot Bravo

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kgturner View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how hot my shed gets as I have not put a thermometer in it, but living in south Alabama the temps in the summer routinely get into the mid-90+ range. For reference, the temperature now at 5:10 p.m. is 91 degrees, but it feels like 104 per the heat index. I'm not certain what 104 feels like, but if it's the 5th rung of He||, then this is it.

Kevin T
    With it being that hot I would put it in a shed that has breather holes in the shed. Put some wire mesh on the openings so critters can't get in.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    With it being that hot I would put it in a shed that has breather holes in the shed. Put some wire mesh on the openings so critters can't get in.
    I actually cut vents in the front and back of the shed about a year ago. I put a thermometer in there last night. This afternoon it was about 94 degrees, but it had just rained. Looks like the shed *might* work for storage.

Kevin T

11. Back To Top    #11

I store it in the garage.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

We've had ours for almost five years now. During the summer the robot is kept on the pool deck, but the power supply is kept inside. During the winter, everything goes back in the box and is kept in the garage. Still woks great, but the UV is starting to cause the plastic to fade (not brittle yet).
    22k gal, IG plaster pool, 1/2 hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump (P6E6C-204L), Sand Dollar Cristal-Flo 300# sand filter (CFII24), RayPak NG heater (P-R266A-MN-C), AquaRite T-15 SWG, Intermatic Hydro-King (T104P201), Aquabot Xtreme, Taylor K-2006