Ammonia Problem

Jul 10, 2015
st charles IL
Hello,

New to the trouble free pool, but have read many topics on this but was hoping for some individual help!

First some specifics:
30,000 gallons
CYA - 0
Total Chlorine - 2.7
Free Chlorine - .2
pH - 7.7

After taking my water sample to a local pool store they noted I had very high ammonia and that it would be best to drain and refill a couple of times. So that's done and the results above are after the drain and refills. They called back and said that I needed 45 gallons of chlorine based on their Chlorine Demand test. It went from 75 gallons on initial test, 58 after first drain and refill, now 45 after the second. Seems excessive, but wanted to get some opinions. But a few questions prior to doing this:

Should I get the pH down?
Should I get the CYA up?

Really appreciate any insight - kids are killing me to get it open.

Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to the forum. :wave: The biggest decision you will have to make is which method to choose....the one we teach or pool store advice. Trying to blend them inevitably leads to failure.....you end up in the middle trying to heed both instructions.

We would suggest just leave your pH alone....it's close enough.

Get 30 ppm CYA in your Pool

Perform the SLAM process.,,,,check it out. It's in Pool School

First, welcome to the forums!

To a rookie like me it looks like you need to get the CYA up. Maybe ammonia brought it down but nobody really knows. The pH could come down a little but that's easy. The most important thing, however, is to get one of the recommended test kits so you don't have to rely solely on the pool store's inaccurate tests for sales advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.