What to look for on new pool build.

Aug 27, 2014
Zapata Texas
I have a pool builder who is coming over this week end to show me some plans and pictures of some builds. What are some things I should be looking for in case they try to save money or skip corners. I think I'm just nervous since I'm new to this.

This will be a 16 x 32 free form pool. I know there could be many things to look for but I want to focus on pool shell since I can always work on filter system or landscape.

I have seen many builds here just trying to collect last minute information.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Due to all the changes at work last year I had to delay the build to this year. The PB said he couldn't make it this weekend but promised to be here this week.

I have seen a few pools built here by them and they seem to look ok.

I always read about plumbing being to small, 2" instead of 2.5 or 3.

I also seen people with pumps way out of specs according to things I read last year.

I will hopefully get this info down and reply back on here to see if I need changes done.

thanks

So I was quoted 18k from one PB today for either a 15x30, 15x36, or 15x30 with 8x8 kiddy pool. I don't understand why the price is the same and I would of taught it would of changed a bit. So anything extra will cost me extra which is ok.

1. Anyways I asked for a greyish plaster to get me a darker color and he mentioned it would go $600 bucks more due to color. He mentioned he uses marblelite or marbledust for the plaster coat. Is that something I should watch out for or should I ask for a certain brand of plaster?

2. I saw a video were they pour gunite mix into pool and just shovel away to form and spread concrete away. He says is the same mixture as gunite just that they don't use a pump to apply it.

3. I was told to go with cooldeck since flagstone gets to hot. Does flagstone get to hot to be uncomfortable?

4. In-floor cleaning kit for 2k extra not sure of brand but included 12 heads. Last year I think they told me to go with a dolphin cleaner over my infloor setup I had mentioned. Pool budget was not available last year due to changes in work environment.

5. Is 7' ok for diving off the deck?

6. We didn't go over the pumping station to get model number of parts but did say it included a 1.5 hp pump. Is there a VS pump you all recommended besides the 3hp pentair that I see on ebay or amazon?

7. I will be doing landscaping so no questions there.

I really hope you guys can kind of help me out a bit. Tomorrow I should get the second quote hopefully but the other guy does spray the gunite shell and uses flagstone for decking.

Yeah it does seem cheaper and I had over the phone estimates between 19k-25k from other PB. This is the first time I get one guy here to see the back yard and surrounding of my home. The cooldeck is 4 feet wide around the pool I forgot to mention that.

I am planning to build the water fall feature later on with the help of a buddy and his bobcat.

I think the code for a diving board is probably 8 ft min.
I would have assumed light gray plaster or white would be the same cost because the color could be controlled by the Portland cement in the mix. Brown and blue plasters require color to be added to the mix.

A pool is a lot of concrete to put down with wheel barrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have flagstone only on the top of the spa and it gets very hot in the summer. In your Texas sun I would think it would be extra hot. I have not seen that way to pour the gunite but it sound like a very cheap way of doing it and so maybe not the best way of doing it either. Hayward has a nice line of VS pumps, have seen many on this website really loving them. Look up marblelite or marbledust on this website as somebody else was asking about them not long ago. Some PB's have white plaster as their base and anything else is an upcharge. So adding color will almost always increase the cost unless they have it built into the quote. I would go with the robot for cleaning, in floor can be iffy and expensive to fix and to buy it in the first place. If you really want to be safe go with 8 feet but 7 should be okay for most of the time.

I have flagstone only on the top of the spa and it gets very hot in the summer. In your Texas sun I would think it would be extra hot. I have not seen that way to pour the gunite but it sound like a very cheap way of doing it and so maybe not the best way of doing it either. Hayward has a nice line of VS pumps, have seen many on this website really loving them. Look up marblelite or marbledust on this website as somebody else was asking about them not long ago. Some PB's have white plaster as their base and anything else is an upcharge. So adding color will almost always increase the cost unless they have it built into the quote. I would go with the robot for cleaning, in floor can be iffy and expensive to fix and to buy it in the first place. If you really want to be safe go with 8 feet but 7 should be okay for most of the time.

Thanks, I guess I will lean away from the flagstone. I really didn't like the idea of applying gunite with out pressurized hose or pneumatic power even though he said he has done a few in that way.

I will try to find out the post you mentioned on marble dusting to get more information about it.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.