Can algae be spread by a garden hose?

Jul 10, 2015
MIDLAND, TX
I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but I'm new at all of this. We drained our algae infested pool and will soon set up a new pool. Will it be a problem to use the same hose to fill as we did to drain? I don't want to spread anything to our pretty new pool.

I would certainly flush out the hose for a couple minutes before putting it in the new pool. There's not much point in getting more hard core than that, since your pool will not be in a sterile environment, and new algae spores will have free access. Maintain good chlorine levels to keep them from flourishing and multiplying.

Unicel C-5315 (can find on Amazon and elsewhere) is a better quality, made in USA incidentally, filter cartridge. It is size compatible with the Intex B. As others had suggested, I find the Unicel cartridge does a better job, and also seems easier to clean. Dirt seems to come off more easily when I spray the filter with a garden hose. I always washed and reused the generic B cartridges also - seemed wasteful and unnecessary to throw them away after one use.

Edited to add: If you do decide to buy a Unicel cartridge at some point, double and triple check that you're getting a genuine brand name item. I remember reading lots of complaints from people who ended up with "Unicel compatible" cartridges - i.e. the same lower quality stuff they were aiming to replace.

Dont worry about the water hose.
Algae spores are everywhere. They float around in the air and land in pool water everywhere evey single day. There is no escaping it.
The trick is to know how to manage the pool to keep it away.

I commented in your other thread, so I wont comment more on water care in this one.

Theres no need to feel overwhelmed or have nightmares. We are here to help you.
:) take a deep breath, exhale, and relax. You are in good hands here.

Get any thick green sludge out of the hose.

Normal chlorine levels will kill anything the hose brings in otherwise. You'll probably want to start with a higher than normal FC anyway, since there's probably some residual algae spores lurking, and that will help. Toss any pool toys in to soak in the highly chlorinated water, too. And if I had a pool noodle that had been in a green sludge pond, I think I'd toss it and buy a new one. Too many hiding places on those things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.