Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can algae be spread by a garden hose?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can algae be spread by a garden hose?

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question but I'm new at all of this. We drained our algae infested pool and will soon set up a new pool. Will it be a problem to use the same hose to fill as we did to drain? I don't want to spread anything to our pretty new pool.
    5700 gal easy set AGP , 2500 gph intex pump, TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can algae be spread by a garden hose?

I would certainly flush out the hose for a couple minutes before putting it in the new pool. There's not much point in getting more hard core than that, since your pool will not be in a sterile environment, and new algae spores will have free access. Maintain good chlorine levels to keep them from flourishing and multiplying.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks. I've actually been having dreams about algae so I want to do it right this time lol. I see we will have the same set up as you in a couple of weeks. May I ask what a Unicel cartidge is?

4. Back To Top    #4

Unicel C-5315 (can find on Amazon and elsewhere) is a better quality, made in USA incidentally, filter cartridge. It is size compatible with the Intex B. As others had suggested, I find the Unicel cartridge does a better job, and also seems easier to clean. Dirt seems to come off more easily when I spray the filter with a garden hose. I always washed and reused the generic B cartridges also - seemed wasteful and unnecessary to throw them away after one use.

Edited to add: If you do decide to buy a Unicel cartridge at some point, double and triple check that you're getting a genuine brand name item. I remember reading lots of complaints from people who ended up with "Unicel compatible" cartridges - i.e. the same lower quality stuff they were aiming to replace.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! We were using A cartridges with our first pool and we reused them, too. Since we don't have our new pump or the filters yet we may look into Unicels. If they work well, it may be worth the price difference!

6. Back To Top    #6

Dont worry about the water hose.
    Algae spores are everywhere. They float around in the air and land in pool water everywhere evey single day. There is no escaping it.
    The trick is to know how to manage the pool to keep it away.

I commented in your other thread, so I wont comment more on water care in this one.

Theres no need to feel overwhelmed or have nightmares. We are here to help you.
    take a deep breath, exhale, and relax. You are in good hands here.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm starting to feel more excited than overwhelmed. So glad I found y'all!

8. Back To Top    #8

Get any thick green sludge out of the hose.

Normal chlorine levels will kill anything the hose brings in otherwise. You'll probably want to start with a higher than normal FC anyway, since there's probably some residual algae spores lurking, and that will help. Toss any pool toys in to soak in the highly chlorinated water, too. And if I had a pool noodle that had been in a green sludge pond, I think I'd toss it and buy a new one. Too many hiding places on those things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I never thought about the pool toys! Only the pool, ladder, and hose. Thanks!!