One Month of TFP

Jun 8, 2015
Rocklin Ca
So it's been about a month since I joined TFP and started taking control of our pool. Two month ago I spent over $200 in one month, yes I did sip some kool-aid and bought some snake oil, so that’s what led me to an internet search and found TFP.. But for the most part the pool is staying extremely clean just looks great, do get my fair share debris in the pool. (Tall redwoods) The first thing I did was buy the TF-100 test kit, once I could see some real numbers that made the rest pretty easy. I will have to say my numbers were pretty consistent with the pool supply I used. So now I use nothing but bleach. But I do have a couple questions

1: I’m using about ½ gallon of Chlorine (10%) a day, dose that seem like a lot? I have done the overnight FC test twice zero loss. The pool is in the sun most the day and for pool temp to hit the 90˚+ mark is common. So maybe it is what it is.

2: I’ve tested my CYA to many times I come up with 45 to 55 so I just call it 50. Now the pool supplies have always been in the 60 to 100 range they average about 75, I’m sticking with my numbers. So I’m using the R-0013 reagents , mixing bottle, Vial with dot so is that the best test to use?

3: Phos-Free I still have about ¾ of a bottle. I did quiet a bit of reading about phosphates in pools, kind of a 50 50 take on it and using chemical treatments. So should I use up what I have left, maybe a cup a week ? I don’t think I’d buy it again.

So other than those few question the pool is looking good. As for the TF-100 didn’t care for the case I took care of that, I did add the Taylor salt water test kit. SWG is broken still 3200ppm of salt.

Attachments

• DSCN1608.jpg
    DSCN1608.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1610.jpg
    DSCN1610.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 56
Hey I like that! Congrats on taking control of the pool too. Excellent decision. Please head over to the coffe bar and show of that cool test kit in my test kit thread. That one really needs to be in there.

1. No, that is not a lot of chlorine for your pool. A half gallon of 10% a day is slightly more than 2 ppm of FC a day in your pool.
2. That is the best test to use for the CYA, stop going to the store for that test and any other test. That is the test pool stores consistently get wrong. Trust your results!
3. I wouldn't bother using it as your pool doesn't need it. Put it on the shelf to remind yourself how nice your pool is without it and the pool stores advice.

Do you know what's wrong with the SWG? There are many experts to help you diagnose it if you don't know what's wrong with it. A common problem with the AquaRite SWG is the current limiter and is easily fixed for around $5.00.

To answer your 3 questions:
1 - 1/2 in your pool equates to about 2.5 ppm over the course of the day. I think that's reasonable in CA with lots of sun. If you inched your CYA up a little, it might even use less FC. But I think you're fine.
2 - "YES" use YOUR test kit w/ vial and black dot. You will always be more accurate.
3 - Phos-Free ... give it to a neighbor you don't link. :)

Bonus answer .... I like the "OCD" behavior of your test kit. You have officially become a TFP "mad scientist". Have a great swimming season!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.