Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there anything I need to be doing immediately after having people in the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there anything I need to be doing immediately after having people in the pool?

So I've finally got my pool back to looking crystal clear thanks to this site. I want to keep it that way so I was wondering if I need to be doing anything after having people in the pool. Should I wait a while and test the chlorine afterwards? Should I turn on the pump?
    16000 Gallons, Plaster, Sand Filter, Hayward Superpump II.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there anything I need to be doing immediately after having people in the pool?

The usual recommendation and what I do is to raise your FC above what you normally would BEFORE having a large number of people in the pool. If it's just a couple people, no need to go over your normal target numbers.

For instance, I have a minimum FC of 3 ppm. I normally dose daily or every other day, depending on usage, up to 5-6 ppm. Before a large party or similar, I might bring my FC up to 8 or 10 depending on the guests. After the guests leave, it's a good idea to check to see if the FC is still above your minimum and bring it back up if needed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Is there anything I need to be doing immediately after having people in the pool?

You should turn the pump on for 30 mins-1hr then test. Add bleach if needed. Remember vacuuming and brushing are also key to keeping the pool crystal clear.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

I turn on the pump and test FC as soon as I can.

I also raise my FC up to SLAM level for the night just because it makes me happy to know I "killed" anything they might have added to the pool.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

A couple people, nothing special. A pool party, raise FC a couple points before and after and leave the filter run a while until clarity is restored.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Every person-hour in a 16,000 gallon pool consumes around 0.066 ppm FC so a few people is no big deal. If you've got 10 people in the pool for 3 hours, now you've got 2 ppm FC of extra chlorine demand. If someone urinates, each cup of urine is equivalent to around 5 person-hours so around 0.3 ppm FC of chlorine needed to get rid of it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"