Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water/green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water/green pool

Been fighting a green pool since 7/5. I shocked the pool and was left with cloudy water.

After shocking it was lacking CYA. Finally registering the CYA I added but pool starting to look green again even after adding needed bleach every other day due to what my results were.

I use the Taylor testing kit.
    I have a 4200 AGP with sand filter

Today's results are:

FC 1.6
    PH 7.3
    TA 100
    CH 40ppm
    CYA 100

I'm holding off adding the 17 oz of bleach until I get some feedback.
    I could have sworn someone told me the Calcium Hardness was not important with a vinyl AGP. Is that true?
    Any thoughts would help.
    THanks!
    Last edited by michelewa; 07-10-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: gallon pool
    Bestway AG July 2014
    4200 gallons
    Flowclear sand filter 1500 gallons single speed
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water/green pool

OK, you've got a LOT of reading to do. My first thoughts are this:

CYA - you have a *minimum* of 100, since that is the limit of the test. That needs to be lowered.

Chlorine should be higher and with a CYA of 100+. you, effectively, have no chlorine in the pool. So, no surprise that you have an algae bloom.

pH is OK, and you can ignore the CH. TA is a tad high, but you need to get the CYA and chlorine sorted out, first.

Do a dilution test on the CYA, so we'll know where you stand, but I really feel that a partial drain and refill is in your future....

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay Michele, let's get that water clear again ok? Here's a good roadmap to get you going:
    Your FC is very low and we know you need to "SLAM", but your CYA is extremely high. You can't do anything yet until you get that CYA down to a manageable level (at least 50 or below). 30 is ideal for a SLAM. SO before you add anything to your pool right now, I would drain first, perhaps about a 50% drain, refill, then test again. If your CYA is at least down to 50, then we can start a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to get you clear again.

While it's draining, stock-up on some bleach and read this Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain link to make sure you understand it well. Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by michelewa View Post
    After shocking it was lacking CYA. Finally registering the CYA I added but pool starting to look green again even after adding needed bleach every other day due to what my results were.
    why did you think it was lacking CYA? What was your CYA reading when you decided it was lacking? And what reference did you use to come to the conclusion that the number was too low? And how did you decide on how much CYA to add?

You should use the pool math calculator to get an idea of how much of anything to add. You seemingly went from lacking CYA to having way too much and needing a partial drain, so we want to make sure you are familiar with the process of testing, entering your numbers, and comparing to the goals and knowing how much to add. if you have the Taylor 2006 kit, with the 7/7 mix bottle for the CYA test, you should be able to get good numbers. though as was said, you'll need to dilute your pool water. from JasonLion:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:a. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
    b. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
    c. Shake briefly to mix.
    d. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
    e. Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.
    Also, when you add CYA it make take a week to show up on the test.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks...I'll start with the drain/refill.
    Bestway AG July 2014
    4200 gallons
    Taylor K2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool looks beautiful! Thank you for your advice! My Pool has passed the overnight FC test! When is it safe for my kids to get back into the pool? My FC level this morning is 19.
    Bestway AG July 2014
    4200 gallons
    Taylor K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If your FC is between your target level and slam level you can go to the pool now
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

What is your current CYA level? That will dictate when your FC has reached a safe swimming level (below shock FC).

Edit - This assumes your ph is on target as well.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100