New and TERRIFIED pool owner

Jul 10, 2015
MIDLAND, TX
Hey, Y'all. We will be getting our second pool in a little over a week. Our first one was a 15' x 36" ABG and ended in an algae apocalypse after a month. I admit that we had ZERO knowledge of pool chemistry so it was totally our fault. Now we're going to give it one more shot so our fair skinned family can beat the West Texas heat and still spend time outdoors. I'm terrified of a repeat with the algae. I've been reading various things on this site and feel completely overwhelmed. It all seems very complicated. I came here so that, HOPEFULLY, we can start off right from the get-go.

Welcome! You've come to the right place! To properly balance your pool, you'll want to be sure you order a recommended test kit so you can get your water right from the beginning.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are here to help you have a clear pool!

You are already on the right direction---------finding TFP and posting!

Now you need to get a good test kit. Go ahead and get the TF-100 as you WILL end up ordering more of the regents and will end up spending MORE in the end if you get the Taylor K2006.

Look at my siggy to see the two test kits compared and where to buy them.

Once you get your test kit let us know and we can walk you through how to do the tests.

While you are waiting for your kit and pool start looking around your area for your best place to buy bleach. Walmart has Greater Value bleach that is 8%, pool stores have chlorine (same as bleach but stronger) that is 11%.

We are here for you!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,
There is no reason to feel overwhelmed. We are here to help you out.
Its really simple. Teh most important thing, is to have a good test kit. The TF100 is the ticket. You wont regret it.

After that, if you will just test the water regularly and adjust the parameters to the recommended levels which that nut pooldv provided a link to, then you will be off and running. And that handy tool called pool math will be your best friend. It will tell you what and how much of something to put in the water.

Thats really all there is to it... in a month or less when you start getting the hang of it, you will start to wonder why you ever felt overwhelmed in the frist place.

:) So, take a deep breath, and exhale. You are in good hands here.

Hey, Y'all. We will be getting our second pool in a little over a week. Our first one was a 15' x 36" ABG and ended in an algae apocalypse after a month. I admit that we had ZERO knowledge of pool chemistry so it was totally our fault. Now we're going to give it one more shot so our fair skinned family can beat the West Texas heat and still spend time outdoors. I'm terrified of a repeat with the algae. I've been reading various things on this site and feel completely overwhelmed. It all seems very complicated. I came here so that, HOPEFULLY, we can start off right from the get-go.

Hi,
Thats really all there is to it... in a month or less when you start getting the hang of it, you will start to wonder why you ever felt overwhelmed in the frist place.

:) So, take a deep breath, and exhale. You are in good hands.

THIS is very true! Dave sent me a similar "it's ok to be overwhelmed reply" a few months ago. He's exactly right!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a proper test kit and you won't be working blind and you can tame the pool no problem. :whip:

And once you're in control, your wallet will stop bleeding cash and your pool will be the envy of all you swim in it. Your children will become pool snobs and refuse to dip a toe into anyone else's water. Life will be good.

How important is the speed stirrer? Is it something we can live without for a bit? Hubby got laid off today so I only want necessities. Also, we have all of these chemicals-HTH brand. I've been reading a lot about the BBB method. My questions are, can we use what we have and then change to the BBB method or are we stuck once we put this stuff in the pool? We have spent soooo much money. I'd really love to be able to stop doing that.

The speed stirrer is not mandatory. Once you have one, you will think so, but ignorance is bliss. You can wait and get it for Christmas or Father's Day or something.

What HTH chemicals do you have? The pH up is just soda ash, pH down is dry acid, Alkalinity Increaser is baking soda, and CYA is CYA. The HTH CYA actually gets good reviews here; fast dissolving. If you have Calcium Hardness Increaser, you won't need it with your vinyl pool. Save it to melt ice next winter.

Depending on test results, any Cal-hypo you have might be useful to chlorinate with until a) its gone or b) CH levels are too high.

If you run short of CYA and have dichlor or trichlor, they can be used to chlorinate and raise CYA, but they are acidic, so be careful with them.

If you post a list of what you have with your test results, somebody will be along to guide you. We're all about saving money. If you already own the stuff, use it. Just don't buy the overpriced stuff again in the future.

I'm very excited about this not costing a fortune! Is CYA the stabilzer? If so, I have that. I also have the ph up and ph down, shock and swim, super algae guard (just bought that a few days ago and haven't used it obviously lol), 3" and 1" chlorine tabs...that might be it. I'm thinking that's it. If there is more I'll post when I get my test kit.

Actually, TFP is about adding to your water ONLY what the water needs.
You will need stabilizer for sure.
we dont recommend using the chlorine tabs as a steady source of chlorine, only liquid chlorine (a.k.a. bleach). Bleach is less expnsive than tabs, and those tabs also can add things in the water that is NOT needed.

You will not need any of the algaeguard either.

Dont go out and buy anything else. Like you say, we wont know what else you might need until the water gets tested.

I'm very excited about this not costing a fortune! Is CYA the stabilzer? If so, I have that. I also have the ph up and ph down, shock and swim, super algae guard (just bought that a few days ago and haven't used it obviously lol), 3" and 1" chlorine tabs...that might be it. I'm thinking that's it. If there is more I'll post when I get my test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support