Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to buy Dichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy Dichlor

I can't for the life of me find on here what dichlor I should purchase. I recall that it shouldn't have calcium in it?? Does this still hold true? Is there a store I can purchase it from? I had purchased a bag from Amazon but I'd like to get the pool set up this weekend but am completely out of dichlor.
    Wanda
    Intex 10x30 pop up pool, 1,018 gallons, Krystal clear model 603 filter pump, not installed yet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy Dichlor

time for pool school.

dichlor doesn't have calcium, it has stabilizer (CYA). cal-po (sp?) has calcium. neither are recommended here.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

Just look in the pool section of the nearest big box store, and read ingredients on the various one-pound bags of 'shock' - you're looking for sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, without any other major active ingredients.

I'm reading from a bag I picked up at Ocean State Job Lot a month ago - not sure if that chain reaches into NY.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

4. Back To Top    #4

Dichlor is fine during startup, you just don't want to keep using it once your stabilizer (CYA) levels are high enough. Personally, I add stabilizer separately and use liquid chlorine right from the beginning after setting up our pool each year; but dichlor can be part of startup - I think I remember reading about that approach at the PoolForum website.

Please read this also

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

I have used the dichlor for the first 4 days then switched over to bleach. It's worked very well for me thus far. I just wasn't sure if I can locate the actual dichlor in a store. I thought I read somewhere some dichlors have calcium in them but could be confusing it with something else. Either way thank you. I will do a search for my local stores and hope they carry it.
    Wanda
    Intex 10x30 pop up pool, 1,018 gallons, Krystal clear model 603 filter pump, not installed yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

There are two common forms of powdered shock - dichlor (which has stabilizer along with chlorine) and cal-hypo (which adds calcium along with chlorine). Just get the one that has a label like the one I quoted earlier - no mention of calcium, and no other 'super duper enhanced' multi-function ingredients ��

7. Back To Top    #7

You can find dichlor in the pool sections of most big box stores such as Home Depot, Walmart or farm/garden/hardware stores. Be sure to just get dichlor or "Dichloroisocyanuric acid" on the label. Do not use products that have any copper compounds listed on the packaging.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Depot, Lowes, Leslie's, Walmart (maybe)...
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The Walmart I was at the other day had nothing but trichlor...but they had 2-3 fancy versions of it.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Usually, but not always, Dichlor is called "chlorinating granules" or "stabilized chlorinating granules" or "granular chlorine". Definitely check the ingredients for "Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione" or "Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate" or something similar with "dichlor" in it and it normally is around 99% concentration and may also separately say 56% Available Chlorine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    time for pool school.

dichlor doesn't have calcium, it has stabilizer (CYA). cal-po (sp?) has calcium. neither are recommended here.
    Not always as a sole source for long term use, but there are plenty of circumstances where these are of value.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

It appears from looking at google maps that there are three Leslies close to you. You can buy Dichlor as "Chlor Brite" in one pound packets. One of them will take your CYA to 40, but don't dump it all in at once. You'll bleach the vinyl if you do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!