Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water is blue but particles in the water.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water is blue but particles in the water.

FC 10
    pH 7.2
    CC1.5
    TC 11.5
    AT120
    CH 120
    CYA 0

When I went to open the pool this year my cover had a hole in it so everything was dumped into the pool. I skimmed a lot of it and then once I heavily shocked for a few days I got in and scooped most of the crud from the bottom. The pool was blue and cloudy but everything read great. At that time my CYA level was around 35. Well.... I went to Chicago for the Fare Thee Well show and since the pool was cloudy I knew it would be hard to get someone over here who would know what they were doing... plus it's the fourth of July who wants to take care of someone else s pool? So I covered the pool and turned everything off.

When I got home I removed cover and turned everything on. I brought it to shock levels and it is blue only loosing a little of chlorine over night. I don't know what happened to the CYA??? I haven't been in the pool since I got home so maybe it all settled to the bottom. One thing I notice is that it seems like the water has particles in it. I wonder is it my sand filter clogged? Do I have a lateral in the filter broken ? I am considering emptying the sand but dang that is so much work. I changed it about five years ago.

Oh, yes another issue; I have a cotton wood tree over the pool. I normally place a nylon sock in the filter basket when it drops cotton. This year when I opened the pool it had pretty much stopped dropping so I did not use the nylon hose. However when I am cleaning the basket I am finding cotton...
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    SAND
    AG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water is blue but particles in the water.

Bacteria could have eaten up your CYA when chlorine was 0. How are you testing CYA? With a recommended kit? Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you are confident in the test you are using then add 30ppm of cya as shown here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TF test kit, I got in and stirred it around and brushed and removed anymore of the junk I could find with my toes... I will add more stabilizer.
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    SAND
    AG

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach