Filter Issues

Jul 10, 2015
Pierrefonds
Good morning TFP.

I have a hayward sand filter for my salt water pool. Recently i've noticed quite a few things going on. ( Please keep in mind this pool is only on it's 3rd summer). First i noticed that the pressure gauge wasn't working, so i replaced it. Then i noticed that the valve handle was very giggly even after setting it in backwash or filter, so i took it in, had the seals inspected (good) and had the spring replaced.
i got home put the filter top back on and it still is not working properly. The last thing i noticed is that even in filter mode, there sound like air is going through yup checked for leaks). I also noticed that the backwash leaks a little even when on filter mode. Last but not least... on backwash mode, absolutely nothing goes through the sight glass bottle. Please help if you can, i'm beyond frustrated.

Million thanks!!

it's a top mount valve, and after i put it back i definitely put it back the same way. Even before i took it off, there was no water going through the sight bottle. I will have to look for model later today.
Thanks for the help so far.

- - - Updated - - -

above ground fyi

Did you take the whole valve off or just the top?

- - - Updated - - -

As for the water showing in the sight glass, it could be that the knockout in the valve body where the sight glass screws in was never punched out. I've heard of that before.

just the top, not that part that gives you access to inside the filter where the sand is... I even bought sand clearner/degreaser but haven't used it yet since i want to make sure the filter is working correctly first. sight glass was working last year... nothing blocking it .. i checked.

Have you actually take the whole top off (two screws and clamp ring) and look at your lateral assy riser (hose they call it?). And at the bottom of the valve itself while at it? Takes under 1 minute to take it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cracked hose, blockage in the hose , bottom of the valve, look inside the sleeve that goes on top of the hose, anything unusual....like concrete on top of the sand :)
It is too easy to open not to do this just to look.
Any info is better than none.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.