Swimming after chemicals, plus chronology of additions

Hi all,

I have a couple questions, but first some info. My PH spiked, likely as I have new plaster, so last night I put a gallon of muriatic acid in and today we're good. Here are my morning readings.

FC = 1.5
PH = 7.2
TA = 90
CH = 170
CYA = 30

The CH has been low for some time now so this morning I put 10 pounds of calcium chloride in. I am looking to add 1 gallon of liquid bleach and 1 lb of stabilizer to get the FC and CYA up a bit.

Questions:

1. Are there any restrictions or chronology to how/when you add your chemicals?
2. Assuming there are no objections to what I am adding above (haven't yet added chlorine or stabilizer), when will it be safe to swim after these chemicals are introduced?

Thanks everyone. Love this forum!

Steve

Liquid doesn't necessarily disburse throughout the entire pool immediately, however, it dilutes as soon as it hits the pool water. That said, I've seen on this forum the recommendation of waiting a 1/2 hour between adding different chemicals as well as for wait time to swim after recently added chemical. Truth be told, I'd hold off on swimming a little longer after adding muriatic acid, but since you added it last night, you're probably good. Wait time to swim for CYA doesn't matter. Put the stabilizer granules in a sock, tie it off, put the sock in the skimmer, and commence swimming. Same with pH+. At the end of the day, it is only baking soda.

My 3 year old (rounding up) had a swimming lesson yesterday evening. I added some LC in front of my deep end return. By the time we got him settled down, changed, and in the water, it was about 30 minutes. I thought nothing of the fact I had just added chlorine.

I have 3 swim jets in mine that I turn on whenever adding chemicals. I've actually tested pH, added muriatic and tested pH again as quickly as it takes me to walk to the other end of the pool and reach deep down. And it was changed. But I still wait 30 minutes and let the pumps circulate the heck out of it <G>

The official TFP response would be: You can add chemicals 30 min apart from each other (stabilizer in sock anytime) with pump running 30 min after addition to circulate throughout the water. Using a brush to help stir the chemical in the area is encouraged. As always, pay particular attention to handling chlorine and muriatic acid at the same time and/or within the same vicinity to avoid a volatile chemical reaction. The Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page has more info. From time-to-time, you may see the need to adjust two items at once (i.e. TA and PH) in which case there may be one product better suited for that purpose.

In regards to swimming, once the PH is within limits for skin & eyes, you can generally go in the water 30 minutes after adding chemicals if the pump was on high circulating everything. If you did a heavy does of acid, maybe give it an hour just to be safe.

As you can expect over time, some of us "bend" a rule or two from time to time based on the size of the pool, experience, or just because we're a bit stubborn. :brickwall: When in doubt, lean towards safety! Enjoy. :swim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.